How to move characters to other characters?

Hey, I’ve been having difficulty trying to figure out on how to make my character run (or walk) to another character on the screen. Can you please help me? Thank you. (My character is at zone 1 and my other is at zone 2 and I just really want to know how to do it in general because I also want to make my characters hug but I don’t know how to make that character walk over to the other one.)

Use layers. When you spot direct the characters, add layers so that one of them is in front of another:

@ CHARACTER1 spot [whatever spot] in zone 2 at layer 1

@ CHARACTER2 spot [whatever spot] in zone 2 at layer 2

This will make Character 2 be on top of Character 1

*IF YOUVE FOUND THIS HELPFUL PLEASE TAKE YOUR TIME TO FOLLOW ME AS I HAVE TAKEN MY TIME REPLYING TO THIS

What do you mean by spot? I have the same problem (sorry, I’m still pretty new to coding on Episode :confused: )

When coding you use the word “spot” to signify a specific spot that you want the character to be in. You only use the spot code when you use spot directing where it gets it’s name from. When you spot direct you insert the location into the code:
@CHARACTER spot ( code number from spot direct) in zone (whatever zone you want them to be in)

To do this you first place the first character in zone 2 like this:
@CHARACTER 1 stands screen (position) in zone 2 AND CHARACTER 1 faces (direction you want them to face)

Next you place your character in zone 1 like this:
@CHARACTER 2 stands screen (position) in zone 1AND CHARACTER 2 faces (direction you want them to face)

Next you need your character to want to the other character and while they switch zones you need the camera to follow them so to do this you use the follow command and you do it like this:
@follow CHARACTER 2 to zone 2

Lastly to make them hug you put the hug code in right here and you’re done. :slight_smile:

What do you mean by screen position? I put screen center and it didn’t work, did I make a mistake? My “CHARACTER 2”'s name is Lili, so I tried the command “@follow LILI to zone 2” and it didn’t work…?

Oh sorry my mistake. I forgot to tell you to place the position as well so if you want Lili to walk to zone two then do this write:
@follow LILI to screen center in zone 2

Hopefully that should work

Yes, thank you, the following Lili part worked. But the other part (screen center position) is still saying it is an invalid directing command. I said “@VERA stands in screen center in zone 2 and VERA faces left” and “@LILI stands in screen center in zone 1 and LILI faces right” but it says it isn’t right. I appreciate the help, thank you sooo much. You’re a lifesaver.

Okay so when typing commands you don’t use the word “in” so here try this:
@VERA stands screen center in zone 2 AND VERA faces left AND LILI stands screen center in zone 1 AND LILI faces right
And don’t worry im glad to help anytime.

IT WORKED!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: TYSMMMMMM

No problem! Feel free to ask me other questions if needed.

I have another question…

Go ahead

So here’s a sample from my script (the words are changed so right now it’s actually kind of funny)
VERA
OMG, Lili?
LILI
Vera?!?
@LILI walks to screen right
@VERA stands screen center in zone 2 AND VERA faces left
@LILI stands screen center in zone 1 AND LILI faces right
@VERA starts hug
@LILI starts hug_rear
FINN
So your boyfriend is just chopped liver now, Vera?
@VERA starts eyeroll
VERA
I can’t exactly hug my boyfriend and best friend at the same time, dork. I have T-Rex arms.
@FINN starts laugh_chuckle
FINN
Come here, weirdo.
@LILI walks to screen right
@FINN stands screen left in zone 2 AND FINN faces left
@VERA stands screen left in zone 1 AND VERA faces right
@follow VERA to screen left in zone 2
@FINN starts kiss_passionate
@VERA starts kiss_passionate_rear

Except when I preview it in the writing portal, it’s glitchy and it moves the characters randomly, they face the same direction so it doesn’t hug right, and it swaps who is in and out of the scene…

Okay I would number 1 suggest that you view more complex scenes like this on your phone or tablet through the app compared to through the portal. The portal is prone to many errors and glitches so you should do that and if you want the camera to see Vera standing in zone 2 (which is way more professional looking then do this)

@LILI walks to screen center
@LILI stands screen center in zone 1 AND LILI faces right
@VERA stands screen center in zone 2 AND VERA faces left
@pan to zone 2
@pause for a beat
@pan to zone 1
@cut to zone 1

LILI
OMG VERA??

@pan to zone 2
@pause for a beat
@cut to zone 2
VERA
Lili?!?

@pan to zone 1
@cut to zone 1

@VERA starts hug
@LILI starts hug rear

Try this for a more dramatic feel to the story.

Thanks! For another story I am working on, do you know how to get characters to leave the scene after it transitions to black for the next scene so they leave unnoticed? I have been having trouble with this on several occasions.

Can you clarify this question a bit more I can’t understand you.

Like if I have a supporting character in a scene talking to the person that the story is following, after the main character leaves the scene, how do I make it so that the other person just disappears after I fade it to black to transition to the next scene?

@remove CHAR