How to Not Make High School Stories Cliche?

Do you guys have any ideas on how to not make a story that takes place in high school well… not boring? I have my characters fully developed, but I made the stupid mistake of thinking of a plot that had no intrigue first.
If you guys want to know my characters, let me know!

1 Like

First of all, there has to be something that draws you in.

1 Like

Watch Netflix High School Shows/Movies and do the opposite.

5 Likes

That’s actually a great idea, thanks!
high school musical marathon, here I come!

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Your Welcome.

One more tip: If you have a football character…

DON’T MAKE HIM THE QUARTERBACK!!!

3 Likes

haha duly noted :joy:

1 Like

Yes, this is amazing advice :clap: :clap: :clap: :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

Thank you :rofl: .

1 Like

Be sure it has something new, something that hasn’t been done before (or at least something that hasn’t been done a lot). :grin: If a plot point seems “too easy” to write (eg. making a mean girl the source of all the drama), it’s probably cliche. :+1: The cliches are overdone because they’re simple and straightforward, everything else requires a little more work. :+1:

3 Likes
  • If you have a mean girl DON"T make her a white blonde I’m tired of seeing that.
  • Can your MC be on time for school… at least once?
5 Likes

What are your characters like?

Nice popular girls
Popular girls are the “nerd”
No love interest that’s a golden boy or bad boy just in between

3 Likes

To give you a short synopsis, my main character is Sofia. Her dad is in the army, so they move around a lot. The story takes place when everyone knows who she is and she’s just made herself into the school. Her love interest is Nathan, who is deemed as the “hot, mysterious boy” because he is reserved. There’s tons more to their life, but I dont want to write out their whole life story because I don’t want to take up a whole page :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I dont think my love interest is technically a “bad boy,” but I think he’s almost leaning that way and I’m trying to get him out of that hole

and a oop-

Good advice :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Base it off your own high school. That way it’s real and just add a lil spice to it here and there. Have one of the best friend do something shady behind the MC’s back instead of the classic mean girl. maybe the mean girl ends up being the MC’s true friend. Cliches like small town girl gets the popular guy is kinda eh. Maybe your girl is popular and she goes for the nerd? idk :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.