HOW TO: plot development in four steps

This is linked to the thread on character development I did a little while back, if you’re interested!

FOR STARTERS

It’s a good idea to have an idea (even if you can barely focus your thoughts on one plot line) of how you want your story to play out. You can have as many ideas for endings and twists and turns as you please, but having them is what’s important.

1. GET FAMILIAR WITH PLOT DEVELOPMENT IN OTHER STORIES

Don’t get this step confused with plagiarism. There is a huge difference between stealing someone’s plot and understanding that there is a general way most stories play out according to the genre, season (If you’re thinking episode), book number. how far along the story is etc. The only way to work this into your story is by reading other stories that you feel most closely resemble your story. REMEMBER: YOU ARE NOT STEALING PLOTS, YOU ARE FAMILIARIZING YOURSELF WITH THEM (I really hope I’m not confusing anyone lol)

1. UNDERSTAND THE FIVE W’S (and H) OF YOUR STORY:

When the story/story event takes place, what is happening is the story/event, where the story/event takes place, who is is in the story/event, why those characters are there and how they plan to move this sequence of events along.

It seems super basic, but thinking chapter by chapter (not forgetting that the chapters need to be linked of course) and chucking it all down makes it so much easier.

1. MAKE SURE YOUR CHARACTERS ARE DEVELOPING AS THE STORY GOES ON

I’ve linked my character development thread at the beginning of this one if you’re interested!
Your characters must change as your story progresses. An entire story where characters do not develop and change their “substance” is one guaranteed to fail. Your characters should also be driven by the stories events and shouldn’t linger alongside going along with whatever event occurs next.

1. MAKE USE OF SUBPLOTS
    Finding subplots that accompany your story are an interesting way of improving character development AND spurring your story on. It makes for a climactic ending when all the subplots come together to form a resolution for the main plot.

That being said, do not overdo your subplot/s so much so that it becomes more interesting than the main part of the story.

(NOTE: Part of this thread was summarized from the article How to develop a story: 10 steps to a winning plot. It’s worth reading :grin:)

I am not a published author and I’m really nothing special, but this is how I structure my plot development and don’t forget to like if it helped! (Sorry for any grammar/spelling issues)

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.