HOW TO: Rear Animations

1. Doing a rear animation and facing a direction:

When it comes to a rear animation, it’s the opposite. So if the character’s back is facing the reader and they’re facing towards the left, the rear animation and right direction is used. If their back is facing the reader and they’re facing the right, a rear animation with the left direction is used.

Here’s an example:

@JEMU776 stands screen center
@JEMU776 faces left AND JEMU776 is rear

This translates into:

Another example:

@JEMU776 stands screen center
@JEMU776 faces right AND JEMU776 is rear

This translates into:

As you can see she’s facing the opposite direction no matter what position she stands in. Remember to keep this in mind :orange_heart:

1. And now to move onto walking rear!

Example A written again

EXT. CAMPUS QUAD LIGHTS OFF - NIGHT
@zoom on 320 366 to 270% in 0
@JEM spot 1.280 270 0 AND JEM faces left AND JEM starts idle

NARRATOR
Example: This lazy writer will walk to a rear spot LOL.
In this Jem’s standing at screen right and she’s facing left. She then walks to the the upper left side of the screen using a walking rear animation, facing left.

&zoom on 6 499 to 270% in 1.5
@JEM walks to spot 1.05 70 200 in 1.5 AND JEM faces right AND JEM does it while walk_rear THEN JEM faces left AND JEM starts idle
@pause for 1.7

NARR
End of scene.

Example B written again

EXT. CAMPUS QUAD LIGHTS OFF - NIGHT
@zoom on 0 366 to 270% in 0
@JEM spot 1.280 50 0 AND JEM faces right AND JEM starts idle

NARRATOR
Example: This lazy writer will walk to a rear spot LOL.
In this Jem’s standing at screen left and she’s facing right. She then walks to the the upper right side of the screen using a walking rear animation, facing right.

&zoom on 302 499 to 270% in 1.5
@JEM walks to spot 1.05 250 200 in 1.5 AND JEM faces left AND JEM does it while walk_rear THEN JEM faces right AND JEM starts idle
@pause for 1.7

NARR
End of scene.

Explaining Examples A & B

Explaining Example A:
First of all, Jem’s standing at screen right (spot 1.280 270 0 is the spot direction for screen right) and she’s facing left. Then I make her walk to the upper left of the screen using a walking rear animation, facing left (since rear animations are opposite, I’d write right, but she’d go left) and once she arrives at the desired position, I make her face left since that’s where I was making her walk to (to upscreen left using rear, facing left but in the script, it’s written right when she’s walking there since rear is always opposite but non rear animations aren’t so that’s good because we’d all throw a fit XD). I added the zoom there as a bonus (totally optional). I put & in front of the zoom so it happens at the same time the camera follows her and it occurs in 1.5 seconds, which is the same amount of time she takes walking to her new position. At the beginning when I placed the camera on her the % was 270. I kept that the same. The other values for the zoom changed in example A (320 to 6 means the camera went from right to left, the number decreased) and (366 to 499 means the camera went from the bottom to top, the number increased) so hope this makes sense ^^

Explaining Example B:
First of all, Jem’s standing at screen left (spot 1.280 50 0 is the spot direction for screen left) and she’s facing right. Then I make her walk to the upper right of the screen using a walking rear animation, facing right (since rear animations are opposite, I’d write left, but she’d go right) and once she arrives at the desired position, I make her face right since that’s where I was making her walk to (to upscreen right using rear, facing right but in the script, it’s written left when she’s walking there since rear is always opposite but non rear animations aren’t so that’s good because we’d all throw a fit XD). I added the zoom there as a bonus (totally optional). I put & in front of the zoom so it happens at the same time the camera follows her and it occurs in 1.5 seconds, which is the same amount of time she takes walking to her new position. At the beginning when I placed the camera on her the % was 270. I kept that the same. The other values for the zoom changed in example B (0 to 302 means the camera went from left to right, the number increased) and (366 to 499 means the camera went from the bottom to top, the number increased) so hope this makes sense ^^

Anyways, another thing! Both of these examples may be similar, so if you noticed patterns that’s awesome (ex. one of the things they have in common is in Example A, Jem walks from spot 1.280 270 0 to spot 1.05 70 200, there’s a difference of 200 between them (the bolded middle numbers, 270-70=200). In Example B, Jem walks from spot 1.280 50 0 to spot 1.05 250 200, again, there’s a difference of 200 between them (the bolded middle numbers, 250-50=200) and all other values follow a pattern, as you can see. BTW I just added this part because it seemed cool :wink:

So yeah, try to look for patterns and I hope this helped, I tried to simplify it as much as I could, much love from a chocolate loving lunatic : )

Thank you for checking this out! :blue_heart:

Feel free to check out:

See you later XOXO :kiss: :lollipop: :candy: :black_heart:

24 Likes

bump :wink:

This actually logically makes sense, when we tell a character to stand facing right, she faces our right and her left, so it makes sense that it should be the same with rear. :thinking: thanks for this, Jem!

1 Like

Thank you for the support, you’re srsly awesome :nerd_face: :cherry_blossom:

1 Like

Hi I have a question, I’m new to this and I don’t know how to do two successive animations while the character is talking… like

@CHARACTER is talk_excited_happy THEN CHARACTER is talk_exclaim_yes_happy

How can I make the character talk while doing those animations ? I’ve seen this in a lot of stories but still I don’t know how to do it.

To make a character talk while doing animations you can either:

CHAR (talk_animation)
Bla bla bla…

OR

@CHAR starts animation / & CHAR is animation (pick one)

CHAR
Bla bla bla…

You’d need to use either starts or & so the animation happens at the same time they’re talking

1 Like

Bump <3 <3

Bump

Bump!

Ty :nerd_face: :revolving_hearts:

1 Like

Bump :smiling_imp::heavy_heart_exclamation:

I know this is old but I was wondering if you could help me? :relaxed:

I’m trying to make my character face forwards again after having her face backgrounds do you know how I can do this?

Thank you :sparkling_heart:

So you have her doing a rear animation and u want her to turn either left or right, right? :thinking:

1 Like

So right now I’ve written,

@CHARACTER NAME stands screen center AND CHARACTER NAME starts idle_rear AND CHARACTER NAME faces left

So right now she’s facing backgrounds and now I just want her to turn around again, I hope I’m making sense?

Do you want her to turn left or right?

Left

Example:

@CHARACTER NAME stands screen center AND CHARACTER NAME is idle_rear AND CHARACTER NAME faces left THEN CHARACTER NAME faces left AND CHARACTER NAME starts idle

*can replace idle with another animation that’s not a rear one

This is if you want her to face rear for just a few seconds and THEN turn, so her’s back facing us and then she turns right after.

But if you have her doing other stuff while she’s rear and want her to turn around a little later, you can write:

@CHARACTER NAME faces left AND CHARACTER NAME is idle

*again, feel free to replace idle with another animation that exists for the character and it isn’t rear

1 Like

Thank you for this but now she only faces forwards and wasn’t backgrounds from the start like I wanted her to be and then face forward. Here’s the code:

@CHARACTER NAME enters from left to screen center

@CHARACTER NAME stands screen center AND CHARACTER NAME starts idle_rear AND CHARACTER NAME faces left THEN CHARACTER NAME faces left AND CHARACTER NAME starts idle

@zoom on CHARACTER NAME to 150% in 10

HAYDEN is idle_rear

1 Like

Thank you so much, it works now! :laughing:

1 Like