How to remember a choice from a previous episode

I know there are a few topics around here telling how to do it, and this is what I’ve been doing:

TATHIANA (think_rubchin)
What drink do you want?
choice (DRINKS)
“Beer” {

gain beer
} “Soda” {

gain soda
} “Water” {

gain water
}

Then later if I need them to remember I use:

If (DRINKS is “Beer”) {

#my script here
} (DRINKS is “Soda”) {

#my script here
} (DRINKS is “Water”) {

#my script here
}

But whenever I try to for example, do this same choice DRINKS to be remembered on the next episode, it just jumps to the other scene.

Like this:

If (DRINKS is “Beer”) {

#my script here
} (DRINKS is “Soda”) {

#my script here
} (DRINKS is “Water”) {

#my script here
}

LUCAS (talk_neutral_loop)
I hope we never forget how the party’s going to be great!

I don’t know what else to do!:disappointed::cry:

You have to use gains in this case, not the named choice! So in the latest episode you have to write:

If (beer) {

#my script here
} if (soda) {

#my script here
} if (water) {

#my script here
}

And it should work!

1 Like

Hiya! :wave:

Firstly, you’re doing both remembering choices methods here, named choices AND gains. You only need one. Most people prefer gains, so that’s how you’ll get the best help.

Not quite; there needs to be an “elif” and “else” in here, as Dara pointed out. (Programming secret: “else” isn’t really needed, but it’s a good habit to make, it makes proofreading easier, and pretty much no one will help you if you don’t have an else. So best to put an “else” as Dara mentioned.)

Thirdly, if you’re proofreading in the preview pane, it often doesn’t remember paths correctly. The app remembers paths correctly, though, and you can use the picker tool in the preview pane to view paths. :+1:

@Dara.Amarie Has a helpful guide on her website you could check out as well! :slightly_smiling_face:

Does it need to be in the same chapter?
Cause it’s still jumping that part of the script and going to where the conversation keeps going without her mother mentioned if she told her or not.

It can be in the same chapter or the next chapters. But the web previewer does not remember choices from previous episodes, so if you have the if/elif/else in the next chapter, you’ll have to test your story in the app.

2 Likes

Still not working and it’s getting me more and more frustrated😢

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.