How To: Shadows

So I recently uploaded a video to my Instagram with a shadow of a character in the background and I just wanted this thread to be here so that everyone else can do it too. I feel like it would give an extra ‘oomf’ to some stories.

Basically, if you’re familiar with the HOW TO: Fade Characters by @Dara.Amarie then you should be able to do this with no problems!

CREATING THE SHADOW
All you need is to create a duplicate character and remove all their features except for their face shape and hairstyle. You’ll also need to change the colour of their skin tone and hair to “Silhouette”. If it doesn’t appear any different in the character previewer, don’t panic! It’s just a bug.

For the outfit, I just added the bottom censorship bar to the character. No need for anything else.

You now have your shadow for your character.

LAYERING AND POSITIONING
To layer your shadow properly, you must be familiar with spot directing. It’ll help you get your character and shadow into the correct position. (I usually have my shadow at a higher scale than my character for backgrounds where the wall is further away and then closer to the same scale as my character if it is closer.)

As for the layers, you’ll want to layer your shadow character at layer 0. This will default them behind the background overlay that you will then create and layer at layer 1. It is important that you then layer your main character in front of your background overlay. Now, all that’s left for you to do is change the opacity of the background overlay into whatever you think is best for the background.

ANIMATING THE SHADOW
To have the shadow act like a shadow, whenever your main character does something or talks, you must have the shadow do the same animation using &. For example:

&SHADOW is flirt_wink_happy

CHARACTER (flirt_wink_happy)
How you doin?

WHEN SHOULD I USE IT?
Whenever you like! It’s your story after all. Be creative and take risks! You want your shadow to be like Peter Pan? Go ahead!

CUSTOMISATION TEMPLATE?
Yes! I have one on my linktree, here

DOES THIS WORK FOR INK?
Unless INK has the silhouette skin and hair tones, then unfortunately no, this method does not work for INK stories.

Don’t forget to ask if you guys need any help with this, either! I’ll do my best to answer any questions about it.

25 Likes

:heart_eyes:

2 Likes

So cool! Will probably use in the future!

2 Likes

Amazing! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Love this!

Also for anyone asking about whether or not this would work for INK, you’d just have to make your own overlay :joy:

3 Likes

This is very helpful, thank you. :smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.