How to show flashlight light on a character

Hey guys!

I want the light from the flashlight to show on a character. How do I do that?

Thank you!

1 Like

You’d need an overlay. I’d search a website like pixabay.com for something matching what you want. If that doesn’t work, you could probably have an artist/editor make/find one for you.

2 Likes

I will definitely look in those suggestions! Thank you so much!

1 Like

What you can do is take the EFFECT DIM 60 overlay and edit it to have a circular cutout in the middle (I use GIMP for photo editing, it’s free). Upload that as an overlay.

Position your new overly with the circle on the persons face. Have the original EFFECT DIM 60 at opacity 1 AND the new one at opacity 0. When it time for the light to flash on the face switch the opacities.

Also to make it more realistic, you can have to new overlay move up and down ever so slightly to match the person holding the flashlights breath.

2 Likes

I’m confused how to cut it out and code it. Can you help me please?

Yeah, I don’t think we’re allowed to alter episode backgrounds and share so I’ll make a different one that’ll look similar.

Can you send the spot information for the character that will have the light on them so that I can know where to put the hole? Also if they’re male or female because it affects the size and placement.

I’m about to head to work, but I should have lunch around noon and can work on it then.

1 Like

Sure! Here’s the spot information. The character’s name is SHADOW

Are they standing, sitting, or kneeling?

1 Like

Standing. And it’s a male

This is what I’ve been able to get so far, my lunch is almost over. Let me know if you need more help with it

EXT. BATHROOM - RESIDENTIAL - NIGHT with EFFECT DIM 60
@SHADOW spot 0.413 96 466 in zone 1
&SHADOW moves to layer 1
&overlay FLASHLIGHT DIM 60 create
&overlay 6280631601070080_FLASHLIGHT DIM 60 shifts to 0 0 in zone 1
&overlay 6280631601070080_FLASHLIGHT DIM 60 scales to 1.000 1.000
&overlay 6280631601070080_FLASHLIGHT DIM 60 moves to layer 2

@pause for a beat

&overlay EFFECT DIM 60 opacity 0
@overlay FLASHLIGHT DIM 60 opacity 1

1 Like

Thank you so much! It’s late here but I will try it tomorrow and let you know!

It worked but I need the flashlight yellow light on his body and the beam light that comes out of a flashlight

I got it! Thank you so much for helping!

You’re welcome. Also, I think for that, I’d need to know exactly where the light would be coming from and the size of the flashlight. That way I’d be able to make an overlay of the light itself and if we layer that above the layer I made earlier it should work well.

1 Like

I have figured out the light. I had to use a light beam overlay and it worked. But your light helped a lot. Thank you hun!

1 Like

You’re welcome. So glad everything worked out I was actually looking for light beams for you. I totally forgot episode had their own.

1 Like

Aww your so sweet! Episode doesn’t have one. I had to make my own

Oh okay. Here’s the one I found for you so you can decide which one you want to use. I usually look for pics on pixabay.com or pexels.com. They both have free pictures that can be used on Episode.

1 Like

I looked on pixabay but didn’t find anything. So I made it myself.

1 Like

It looks good. Good job. How does it look with the script?

1 Like