How to suggest a vision?

This isn’t for my cover or a splash or anything, it’s for my story.

I’m opening my story showing several scenes of people running around while everything in the background is burning. It’s a vision of a possible future, though I don’t want that to be obvious at first, it’s just a way to start the story with a bang.

Besides using a crystal ball, which I really don’t want to do because I have characters who have the ability to see different futures without one, does anyone have any ideas for how I can subtly suggest that what’s happening is a vision? I’m going to need a way to suggest that the current scene is a vision later on in the story, so I need a way to do this.

I was thinking maybe something like making things hazy or smoky or foggy around the edges, but I’m not enough of a digital artist to know how to implement that. I’m reasonably comfortable with overlays, I’m just not really sure what I’m looking for. I’m not set on the smoke/fog/haze idea, though.

Can anyone help? And yes, I’ll give you a credit in my story if you give me a workable solution. :smiley:

Thanks so much!

Kere

That’s a good idea. I like the idea of the smoke overlay, maybe do something where one of the main characters will have a dream about something in the future if something important is coming in the future. You could open with that and then have your main character wake up and realize it happened again and that the dreams had come back. Just an idea though.

What about using a filter?

1 Like

@amberose: Like I said in the original post, I’m not much of a digital artist. I’m the sort who does better with a step-by-step walkthrough. My understanding of filters is that they are basically effects that get applied to a picture. I use GIMP (because it’s free!) and I’m pretty sure it doesn’t come with smoke filters, which means I’d have to figure out a way to approximate it.

I suppose I could do a fullscreen-sized overlay with a transparent cutout for the middle where the action is happening and maybe add some kind of noise filter effect in the edge area and then increase the transparency so it’s more smoky/hazy looking. But that will be really stretching the limits of my non-existent digital artistry talents, LOL.

It won’t hurt to give that a try, I guess.

Kere

1 Like

Ah, no. Not what I meant. Episode has some pre-made filters where you can change the hsl levels. If you’re in the writers portal, try looking on the right side under the web previewer. It’s where the props list and animations list is, etc.

So you could make it look sepia or have an overall hue to show it’s not the present

Yeah maybe something hazy/smokey around the edges or you could put a iridescent overlay or maybe very faintly you could put an overlay of the characters eye in the background so it’s noticeable but not obvious.

Can check out this on filters:

1 Like