How To: True Infinitely Rotating Overlays (No need to clear and reapply)

Due to how the rotation works an infinite loop is technically impossible:

@ overlay WHEEL rotates 360 (to this degree TOTAL) anchor point .5 .5 in 10

That tells it to spin to 360 degrees and stop. A repeat won’t work as it is already AT 360 degrees, so it just repeatedly says “Oh, I’m already there. I don’t need to move.”

… And trying to get that anchor back to “0” or setting a negative causes it to spin counterclockwise. “Oh, I’m AT 360 degrees, so I need to go BACKWARDS.”

Solution- Reset it to zero in zero seconds. Technically this is still spinning backward to where it was… but way faster than the human eye will catch. The result? That infinitely spinning wheel :slight_smile:

&overlay WHEEL rotates 360 anchor point .5 .5 in 10 THEN overlay WHEEL rotates 0 anchor point .5 .5 in 0 loop INFINITE times

• Mods if this was solved elsewhere please feel free to delete this topic and/or merge it on another thread. I couldn’t find a good, clear place to do so. (And I didn’t see this specific solution elsewhere, either.)
16 Likes

I’d hoped there was an easier way to create infinite rotation for some time now, but I could never seem to work out a proper fix; the issue seems so obvious after reading your explanation. You really are a coding wizard. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I am so glad someone found it useful! And you’re welcome :slight_smile:

once again, you have saved my life vaena. ily.

2 Likes

Glad to help :slight_smile:

1 Like

TYSM!! You helped me and now I’m good at rotating but not at rotating it fast

1 Like

Glad it was useful for you! To rotate it faster, change the “in 10” to a smaller number. :slight_smile:
For example:

&overlay WHEEL rotates 360 anchor point .5 .5 in 6 THEN overlay WHEEL rotates 0 anchor point .5 .5 in 0 loop INFINITE times

1 Like

Thank you :smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much! This is just what I was looking for :slight_smile:

1 Like