How to turn a Day background into a Night background!

Hi, TL here! I’ve seen a lot of people lately asking for help with backgrounds, and while this is no problem for many of us artists and editors to do, you know what they say- give a man a meal, he can eat for a day, teach a man to fish, he can eat for life! So, let’s get started.

What you’ll need:
-ibisPaintX (Google Play) (Apple Appstore)
-Episode background; I’m using INT. ISLAND BEDROOM - DAY
-5+ minutes of free time

First, you want to import your picture into Ibispaintx, as shown here:

Next, you want to click on the paintbrush at the bottom of the screen and select ‘Filter’:

After doing that, select the ‘Brightness & Contrast’ filter. Set Brightness to -100% and Contrast to 0%:

Then, select ‘Hue, Saturation, Lightness’. Set Hue to 0°, Saturation to -5%, and Lightness to -30%:

When you’re done with that, click the arrow and select the paintbrush again. Now, you’re going to want to select the ‘Lasso’ tool:

And you’re going to select any open windows (interior only):

Now, go back into ‘Filter’. Select ‘Hue, Saturation, Lightness’ and set Hue to 0°, Saturation to 0%, and Lightness to -20%:

Click the check again, and when you’re back on the main image, click the dashed box at the top right and select ‘Remove Selection Area’:

Now, click the paintbrush and select ‘blur’:

With an opacity of 15, go over the window edges and smoothen everything out:

Open up the menu again and select ‘Brush’:

Set your radius to 1.5 and paint little stars outside the window:

That’s it! Now you have a custom night background for all your Episode-ing needs!
Untitled9_20191218200829

Remember, this isn’t an exact science- feel free to fiddle around with the settings to fit your needs!

I hope this helped you guys!

8 Likes

:clapping: Life :clap:t3: Save :clap:t3: Er :clap:t3:

2 Likes

you can also just insert your image and it’ll do it for you http://funny.pho.to/day-to-night-effect/ <3

1 Like

Yeah, but it doesn’t fix brightness of windows or light sources, you’ll have to do it manually.

1 Like