How to use an arm overlay to make it look like it's wrapped around someone?

Title sounds weird, so I’ll just explain. I’ve seen this in multiple stories where a guy has his arm around a girl’s waist so it looks like he’s hugging her from behind or something similar to that. I have the overlay (the arm gesture overlay) needed for such a scene, but I don’t know how to get it to work. What I’m having the most trouble with is shifting the overlay to where it needs to be because I don’t know what the coordinates (X, Y) would be for that spot. Assuming both characters are standing at the center of the screen (with one in the “sleep_sitting” position so that they overlap), how do I achieve a scene like the one mentioned above?
Note: The characters are “normal size” (they have not been shrunk or enlarged through spot positioning).

idk if this would help, but if you go to directing helper and click overlay helper, you can scale and shift your overlay

The problem is, I can’t even see the overlay on the screen when I generate it with the “create” command. I’m assuming it’s somewhere offscreen, but I don’t know where. The overlay helper doesn’t help much if one can’t even see the overlay that one is trying to move/scale.

When you use the create command, are you aslo adding the scales, shifts, and opacity commands as well?

try making it big and moving it toward the screen (this happened to me too)

I’m not using any of those because I don’t know how to position the overlay properly, unfortunately. But I can try to enlarge it with the scale command as @_hxxd suggested to see if it’ll assist me.

Because if you use the create command you need the shifts, scales, and opacity commands otherwise your overlay won’t show up. Just use the default numbers when using them:

@overlay OVERLAY create
@overlay OVERLAY scales to 1 1 in 0
@overlay OVERLAY shifts to 100 100 in zone # in 0
@overlay OVERLAY opacity 1 in 0

Then your overlay will show in the scene and that’s when you can scale and shift it into the spot you want.

You can learn more about how to use overlays here: A Guide to Using & Animating OVERLAYS

Hmm, that’s weird. It’s still not showing up. I’ll copy and paste the code that I’ve typed in for reference (to see what I’m doing wrong):
&CHARACTER2 stands screen center AND CHARACTER2 is idle_happy AND CHARACTER faces right AND CHARACTER1 spot 1.280 128 9 AND CHARACTER 1 is sleep_sitting AND CHARACTER1 faces right AND CHARACTER1 moves to layer 1 AND CHARACTER2 moves to layer 0 These are not the actual character names
@transition fade in white
@overlay TANCLENCHM create
@overlay TANCLENCHM scales to 1 1 in 0
@overlay TANCLENCHM shifts to 100 100 in zone 1 in 0
@overlay TANCLENCHM opacity 1 in 0

Have you tried refreshing the page or zooming out to see if the overlay is in the scene somewhere else? If anything, just add the overlay to the background name.

Well, I tried zooming out, and it turned out that it was in the scene somewhere else…but in an unknown location far away from where the characters are. What do I do now?

Move it to where you want it, then add those numbers to the script.

After ten minutes of continuous mouse-click dragging to scale & move my overlay to where it needed to be, I finally got a satisfactory result! Thanks for the tips! :smiley: