HOW TO: Use and edit backgrounds

HOW TO: Use and edit backgrounds you found somewhere or are from another person

• You found the background on the internet (google search) and is in perfect style to use it for you Episode story.
    Can you?
    Unfortunately no. Many of these are copyright protected or have been shared without author’s/creator’s acknowledge.
    We’re not allowed to use backgrounds found on internet/google search.

You can though use backgrounds from specific websites and their apps: Pixabay, Pexels, Unsplash - and only those which have no logos of brands on them.

• You found a background from one creator who doesn’t want credits. How can you appropriately use it?
    Use it however you want, but for your own use.
    You can’t claim it as yours even if you edited it!
    You can’t share it without explaining that you’re not a creator - in this case you can say you edited it, but you didn’t create it. But you can’t ask for credits!

• You found a background from another creator, but that one asks for credits. How can you appropriately use it?
    Use it however you want, but for your own use.
    You can’t share it without explaining that you’re not a creator - You must name the creator.
    You can’t share that background publicly on the forum and ask people to edit it for you, unless the creator allowed you to do that, but in that case you must name the creator.
    Sharing is not allowed unless author allows that!

• You need to edit Episode background from the Portal. How can you appropriately do that?
    You can edit it however you want, but for your own use.
    You can’t share it on the forum without explaining that you’re not a creator - you must say the background is from the Portal!
    Whoever creates an edit of Episode background for a requester, must not send that edit on the forum - but can send that edit to requester’s PM!
    You can’t share that Episode edited background publicly on the forum and ask people to credit you.

All these rules are not made up by me. That’s public knowledge! And all said above goes same for the overlays. These are the basics by which most creators work.
If you follow these rules, you won’t have problems with creators or with Episode reviewing team.

Be careful when naming the creator of the background - credit the right person! :heart:

12 Likes

If there’s something what I forgot to write, please remind me.

If you think of a better title of this thread, I’d appreciate your suggestion! :heart:

1 Like

I would rewrite the Google search one. I found the cover for my story on Google search, but I went to the website where it was hosted and got it from there. Maybe say something like, “If you find an image you like on Google search, go to the original website where it’s hosted and look at the terms of use for that image. More often than not, you can use the image as long as you credit the website and creator.”

1 Like

Crediting website is not allowed :heart:

bump!

1 Like

Are you positive? I credited a website in my story and it passed review. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yeah I’m sure :grimacing:
Reviewing Team sometimes makes mistakes, and I’m positive that was once discussed and explained. :thinking:

1 Like

@Tyler can you confirm?

I’m not on the image review team (which is separate from story reviewers), so sometimes I’m unsure and I need to double check. (Most are off for xmas today, I can’t double check)

We go by Fair Use, where if an image is labeled for commercial reuse that they can be used in episode stories. (Some have to specifically used as they are found, others are allowed to be edited.)

Google has an image search function that allows you to do this, but it’s always wise to double check at the source itself.

I’m pretty sure that there’s a rule against modifying existing Episode backgrounds too.

2 Likes

If you are searching for backgrounds/overlays/cover art etc from Google you have to make sure that they are free for commercial use otherwise you may be using a copyrighted image even if you credited the source/website. An easy way to do this is to put the search filter labelled for reuse with modification. These images are almost always free for commercial use.

2 Likes

That’s what I meant. :heart: Thanks for explaining it more detailed! :heart:

We are allowed to edit for own personal use, i.e. our own stories. We just cannot widely distribute these backgrounds. It is mentioned in the thread from March. :blush:

2 Likes

Exactly :heart: That’s why I recommend if anyone is asking for help to edit Episode’s background, the one who will make the edit should send it to requesters DM and not post it publicly. :heart: