HOW TO: Using Filter

First of all, thanks to @MystikLunaa for the idea, you rock :sunglasses: :sunflower:

Anyways here I go:

The general code for a filter:

@set hsl Hue# Saturation# Lightness# colorization with blendMode TYPE to OPACITY% in S

Hue:
Hue is a number between -180 and 180 and it’s the color/shade (according to the Episode guides, hue, saturation, and lightness are similar to Photoshop’s so if you’ve taken and are an expert in Photoshop, you’ll know)

Saturation:
Saturation can be a number between -100 and 100 and this is how colorful the color is (so if you have green as your color, you can make it extremely bright green or take it to the other end, where it’s mainly gray)

Lightness:
Lightness takes a number between -100 and 100 (also known as brightness) and it is how bright the picture is. It can go from pitch black to a bright light. Think of it like turning off a light, though you can control for it so it’s not super dark or super bright.
(If you’re curious to know more about H S L-hue, saturation, lightness, you can always search it up, there are tons of tutorials dedicated to showing you what these are, based mostly on Photoshop, with the numerical values being different)

P.S here’s a pic (from many), showing hue, saturation, and lightness/brightness:

hsb%20yorkexample%20ofmany

Colorization:
Colorization is optional and you can choose whether you want to turn colorization ON or OFF.
To turn it off: no_colorize
To turn it on: colorize
If you don’t mention any, the default is no_colorize. You’ll see what this command does if you check out the guide I linked near the very end, which shows you this command in action.

with blendMode TYPE:
This is optional to add as well and what this does, according to the Episode guides is that it “changes how it blends with the existing image.”
The TYPE that exist and can be used: NORMAL, OVERLAY, ADD, MULTIPLY
If you don’t mention the TYPE, the default is NORMAL

to OPACITY%:
This is how strong you want your filter to be.
OPACITY takes a value between 0 and 100.

in S:
This is optional, it means how many seconds your filter comes in. If you don’t add it, then the default is around 1 second (can count it), where there’s a tiny pause before the image becomes the way you want it to. In order to have the filter set up right away for the scene, write in 0, which means it takes 0 seconds for your filter to come in (so no seconds at all). You can also make the filter take time coming in by writing something like “in 3” where it takes 3 seconds for the filter to appear.

Moving on! :blue_heart: :sparkles:

Luckily, Episode comes with their own pre-made filters that you can add from the right side of the Writer’s Portal into your story (or play around with numbers and commands and make your own cool, badass filter) Remember to add in 0 to the already made filters if you don’t want a short pause before the filter comes in.

So, just to re-iterate, these filters can be found on the right side of the Writer’s Portal here:

P.S Remember that “Filters will persist across scenes, and even episodes, until you disable them in your script”
To turn a filter off, write “@reset hsl”
Note that if you write @reset hsl, just like writing your filter command above, without in S, where S is a number (ex. 0) and stands for the number of seconds (ex. 0 seconds), there’ll be a short pause where the filter goes away. If you want the filter right away gone without any pause, write:
@reset hsl in 0

Check out this cool guide below to see different categories of the filter in action (see how saturation, hue, lightness, colorization, opacity, blend mode work, there’s a moving visual for them all so you can see how they’re adjusted) :orange_heart:
Here you go:

Before we end off here’s a picture of a filter in action:

Thanks for checking this out, now it’s your turn to play around with this to get the filter of your dreams :wink: :black_heart:

26 Likes

You can also make the filter come in fast by writing a number less than 1 but higher than 0, like 0.3, 0.5, 0.7, your choice :smile:

Also, Joseph Evans’ has a video on Filters available on YouTube, feel free to check that out (the Episode guides are also very helpful but I decided to make one where I tried to break it down as much as possible, so my apologies if it’s really long lol). Once again, thank you for the idea @MystikLunaa :new_moon: :heart:

5 Likes

Thank you for the helpful thread
You rock

2 Likes

:heart_eyes:

1 Like

Ha ha, thnx and cool bio “Changes pfp every other week if not day” profile pic changing to the extreme twin :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :revolving_hearts:

1 Like

What if you want the characters to be unfiltered but have the background be filtered?

Well here’s an amazing quote by @Epithet that’s really helpful:

Sadly we can’t change the layers on filters, they’ll always be in front of the scene and character just like weather effects can’t be layered, so you’ll have to upload the background with the filter (screenshot it, save it, make sure those directing command buttons on the app aren’t in the way, to remove them, follow this ----> select NAVIGATION and then select Hide debug elements of HUD and then capture the background ) and then put this picture into your backgrounds and then later put it into your script and write up your scene with your character(s) who will be in front of the background :black_heart:

1 Like

Bump :grinning:

:sunglasses:

1 Like

:kissing_cat:

1 Like

Bump!!!

Bump, I really need to color code this lol :joy: :revolving_hearts:

Bump :wink:

Bump :kissing_heart:

I got a question! Can we loop filters? I have this one party scene and will be using different filters so that it would give a club lights effect. :slight_smile:

Hmm, the looping command only works with overlay animations, however you can try testing out this:

INT. HOUSE PARTY - NIGHT

&zoom reset

&speechbubble reset

&YOU stands screen center AND YOU faces left

&set hsl -5 42 -32 colorize with blendMode ADD to 66% in 0 THEN pause for 0.4 THEN set hsl -15 52 7 colorize with blendMode OVERLAY to 55% in 0.4 THEN set hsl 5 -50 8 colorize with blendMode NORMAL to 100% in 0.4 THEN set hsl 39 40 0 colorize with blendMode OVERLAY to 78% in 0.4 THEN set hsl 0 -100 0 no_colorize with blendMode NORMAL to 100% in 0.4 THEN set hsl 144 5 -2 colorize with blendMode OVERLAY to 56% in 0.4 THEN set hsl -5 42 -32 colorize with blendMode ADD to 66% in 0.4 THEN pause for 0.4 THEN set hsl -15 52 7 colorize with blendMode OVERLAY to 55% in 0.4 THEN set hsl 5 -50 8 colorize with blendMode NORMAL to 100% in 0.4 THEN set hsl 39 40 0 colorize with blendMode OVERLAY to 78% in 0.4 THEN set hsl 0 -100 0 no_colorize with blendMode NORMAL to 100% in 0.4 THEN set hsl 144 5 -2 colorize with blendMode OVERLAY to 56% in 0.4 THEN set hsl -5 42 -32 colorize with blendMode ADD to 66% in 0.4 THEN pause for 0.4 THEN set hsl -15 52 7 colorize with blendMode OVERLAY to 55% in 0.4 THEN set hsl 5 -50 8 colorize with blendMode NORMAL to 100% in 0.4 THEN set hsl 39 40 0 colorize with blendMode OVERLAY to 78% in 0.4 THEN set hsl 0 -100 0 no_colorize with blendMode NORMAL to 100% in 0.4 THEN set hsl 144 5 -2 colorize with blendMode OVERLAY to 56% in 0.4 THEN set hsl -5 42 -32 colorize with blendMode ADD to 66% in 0.4 THEN pause for 0.4 THEN set hsl -15 52 7 colorize with blendMode OVERLAY to 55% in 0.4 THEN set hsl 5 -50 8 colorize with blendMode NORMAL to 100% in 0.4 THEN set hsl 39 40 0 colorize with blendMode OVERLAY to 78% in 0.4 THEN set hsl 0 -100 0 no_colorize with blendMode NORMAL to 100% in 0.4 THEN set hsl 144 5 -2 colorize with blendMode OVERLAY to 56% in 0.4 THEN set hsl -5 42 -32 colorize with blendMode ADD to 66% in 0.4

#Your filter will be enabled for every scene after this line
#To turn off the filter, use “@reset hsl” or “@reset hsl in [# of seconds]”

YOU (dance_club_happy_loop)
(This is one hell of a party!)

YOU
(I wanna dance all day and I wanna dance all night.)

YOU
(No can stop me as I take the title of the best dancer in the whole wide world).

YOU
(HA HA HA.)

When you test it out, while she’s dancing and thinking these things, the lights will flash. This is just an example though ^^

1 Like

Yep, I definitely did that as my 2nd option in case. As suspected, I guessed right. I was hoping to have a much more of an easier strategy though lol. :laughing: Thanks for the help though! :black_heart:

Bump :disco:

Bump :medal_sports:

Bump :unicorn: :rainbow:

Bump :rainbow: