How to write better?

Does anyone have tips on how to write better dialogue? I’ve read a lot of episode stories and the majority of these writers are really serving us well. It’s rare that you find terrible dialogue. I personally feel that my dialogue sucks and could be better, so I’m hoping to get advice on this.

2 Likes

Study the conversations you have with others?

2 Likes

Read More. Sometimes what you read in books could be morphed into the best dialogue ever. Try to read more in the genre of the story. Pretend your the character, and what you’ll think and feel if you were in the MC’s situation.

5 Likes

Moved to Episode Fan Community since this doesn’t fit into any Creator’s Corner category. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :wink:

This is going to sound weird, but stay with me… watch/listen to stand up comics. Not because that’s how you get fun, quippy dialogue (it doesn’t work that way), but because most of the successful ones are amazing writers in their own right. Their entire job depends on them being able to talk to the audience as though they’re just another person on the street. Many of the best build their routines around story telling, language, and communicating ideas to people.

3 Likes

aha i usually watch netflix shows
for example- in one of my scenes the Mc saw someone getting bullied so she told them to leave the girl alone. But then the Mc’s friend was asking why did she have to argue with the “popular people” and then it reminded me of a scene that was on prison break so i just copied the dialogue of that but changed it a bit.

2 Likes

Wat else tho

1 Like

I saw this and have the same exact question u got any other idea on u?? At all?

2 Likes

I like that. U can always do that and put it in your own words I never thought of that till now. I would do it with my favorite band. I have so much in common with the woman in that band

2 Likes

Not really. When I get my dialogue, it’s mostly me pretending that I’m the character and in that situation, what I would do. You could also go into a room, with a pen and paper. And describe any object in that room to the best of your ability. Then ask someone you live with to guess what the object is and if you didn’t tell them, would they already know.

Describing; Character traits; Making up situations: Are all apart of making good dialogue, in my opinion.

2 Likes

Thank you, I will strongly take this into consideration.

1 Like

Its a good idea but I always get stuck. I don’t feel like I am that good and it really been hurting me cause I want this really bad. And I just am stuck. I freeze and I just don’t know what to make the scene about or what to do what to write and I do not know how to code or do anything advanced way too hard. But I want to learn and belive in myself. I know I have a horrible memory, From alot I been threw,.

1 Like

I feel the same. Its all about believing in ourselves. And never giving up no matter what.

I have a YT channel and the last video I posted was writing tips and advice. The main thing I said there was to write everything down. Meaning the codes, your story ideas, ect. In this case when you know you have a bad memory write down the directions transitions and everything down somewhere accessible.

2 Likes

Oh alright. What do you mean by directions and transitions? And the last thing that you said?.

1 Like

Directions and transitions examples:

Directions:
@MC faces right THEN MC is talk_greet

Transitions:
@transition fade in

Also what part do u mean?

If you don’t want to be stuck, you should plan your story first. Most people can’t just jump in and write whatever. Although, I’ve heard of some people who can do that. I suggest you plan the story first b4 anything.