How to write: European characters

Since Threads about characters from other continents already exist, I thought of, as a European myself, creating a thread about Europeans. When people think of Europe, they only think of the following countries: Germany, UK and Russia. But that’s not all that makes Europe a whole continent, obviously.
Just to clarify: This thread is ONLY about geographical Europe, NOT political Europe, as it is too complex to explain. We only focus on its ethnicities, cultures, languages etc.

Europe has very diverse ethnicities and cultures to offer that are unfortunately too often overlooked.
Europe can be divided into six groups (and more):

Northern Europe
Iceland
Sweden
Norway
Finland
Denmark (but can also be counted as part of Central Europe)

Eastern Europe
Russia (Russia is geographically in Europe and Asia)
Belarus
Ukraine

Central Europe
Poland
Germany
Austria
Switzerland
Czech Republic
Slovakia
Slovenia
Hungary
Luxembourg
Liechtenstein
Estonia (can also be counted as part of Eastern Europe)
Latvia (can also be counted as part of Eastern Europe)
Lithuania (can also be counted as part of Eastern Europe)

Southern Europe
Italy
Vatican City State
Spain
Andorra
Portugal
San Marino
Malta

Southeast Europe
Romania
Macedonia
Moldova
Bulgaria
Serbia
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Montenegro
Kosovo
Turkey (Like Russia, Turkey is geographically in Europe and Asia)
Greece
Albania
Cyprus
Croatia

Western Europe
France
Monaco
Netherlands (can also be counted as part of central Europe)
Belgium (can also be counted as part of central Europe)
Ireland
Great Britain (Northern Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales)

Now that you have an idea of which countries belong to Europe, you can write more interesting characters with different ethnicities and cultures. Or even places that doesn’t take place in the US. If you are from Europe, it would be amazing to tell us more about your country and culture and educate us on its prejudices and stereotypes!

As a general rule, treat every character like a human. We all are humans beings. We also make mistakes, have interests, goals/aspirations in life, backgrounds, world views, jobs, quirks, weaknesses, strengths, religion, social class, gender, family, friends, philosophy, ethnicity, language, culture etc. NEVER limit your characters to stereotypes! It’s harmful and disrespectful! Always do your research! You can always ask the community for feedback. Don’t be afraid to ask!

To be continued…

12 Likes

@CarbiD (from Italy)
@line123462 (from Denmark)
@its_mehh (from Belgium)
@Qettix (from Hungary)
@Sarah07 (from Germany)
@AngelWings1983 (from Netherlands)
@Lily.v (from Norway)

8 Likes

Ja Dansker her. be happy to help.,

3 Likes

velkommen (det er google oversat!)

3 Likes

I’m from the Netherlands!

2 Likes

I never realized people outside of Europe only thought of us as either English (from the UK), Germans or Russians :hushed: Well done! Hopefully we might start seeing more underrepresented cultures from our continent!

Greetings from Italy :it::wave:t2:

5 Likes

actually Europe is often been tought of as one country unfortently.

4 Likes

Oh yeah that’s true :hot_face:

3 Likes

You forgot to include Croatia!

1 Like

I added Croatia. Thanks!

2 Likes

You’re welcome!!

1 Like

Hey,

Een andere Nederlandse!! :+1:t2: :wave:t2:

Liefs A-W

1 Like

Alright Belgium here I go
People mostly think about chocolate when you say Belgium yes our chocolate is yummy but I don’t think we eat that much of it in general. It’s mostly our frites. Oh and beer.

We speak Flemish not Dutch it is very similar but you can definitely hear the difference. We don’t only speak Flemish it’s mostly the part on the north, the part on the south speaks French and a really small part speaks German. In school we need to study Flemish, French and English. When we become sophomores German also becomes one of the languages we need to learn. IM NOT TOO SURE OF IT BUT I HEARD SOME THINGS ABOUT THE NEXT PART when you live on the south of Belgium so if you speak French it’s completely optional to learn Flemish and German.

Most people are Roman Catholic but there are also multiple other religions like Islam, Protestants, Orthodoxes, Jewish there might be others but I don’t know which.

If there is something else you want to know ask me and I’ll see if I know something about it.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.