How to you name background characters 😂 😂

Hello I have a funny question!

What names are you using for background characters!
I use easy bg1 and so on and I know some are putting just names like Maria
:joy::joy:

How are you naming background characters?

EXTRA# if for some reason I need to have them talking I just change the display name. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

I change two display names to tutorial and author note :wilted_flower::crazy_face:

:joy:

1 Like

For me I categorize my background characters
So it would be like NOBLEMAN#/NOBLEWOMAN# PEASANT# HOMELESSPERSON#
I’m a control freak like that…

3 Likes

bgone, bgtwo, bgthree, and so on.

1 Like

I usually create background characters different for each scene (but I occasionally recycle them) and name them similar to the scene. E.g. BEACH1, PARK1…

4 Likes

I use BG#, RANDOM CHARACTER#, EXTRA# and also for some scenes I name them like PARTYGUY of stuff like that lol, my characters are messy :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I used to give them real names because I liked them having a name in case they ever became part of the story, but that got confusing to distinguish between actual characters and backgrounders, so I now name them something like BGG1 or BGB2 (G for girl and B for boy).

1 Like

Oh well I usually just call them by their personalities, or looks.
If a background character is (for example) on the phone I would call them: Busy woman/man
A background character that’s (for example) in an awkward pose would be: Shy girl/boy
A very excited character would be: Energetic girl/boy
A snobby one would be: Snobby woman/man or Snob
Etc,Etc

1 Like

I start my background characters’ names with Z so that their names appear at the bottom of the list. Then I write G or B depending on their gender, so I don’t accidentally add a boy in a girls’ locker room scene, for example. Then I write a number starting from 1, so all my extras have different script names.
My extras’ names will end up something like:

Summary

ZB1
ZB2
ZB3
ZG1
ZG2
ZG3

6 Likes

That’s a cool idea

2 Likes

I do the same, except I start mine with ZZ lol.
If they’re just general characters I do:
@ZZM1 or ZZF1
If they have a specific purpose I’ll do
@ZZOFFICEF1 or ZZOFFICEM1 etc

3 Likes

You could name them EXTRA and then number them, I do that most of the time

1 Like

lol I actually give mine names

1 Like

For females, I use BGF1, BGF2, BGF3, and so on.
For males I use BGM1, BGM2, BGM3, etc. :smiley:

1 Like