How would I add autism awareness to my story?

In one of my classes I am a teacher assistant in a special ed class and before I signed up for it I truly had no idea about autism and learning disabilities.
All I’m saying is that I’d like to have autism in my episode but I don’t know to present it.

write what you think below~ :heart::heart::heart:

4 Likes

well I am autistic. autism can be very diffrent for people. and there is a lot of lies spread about autism.

personally I like to explain autism as been gay. both is something you are born as. people call it a sickness which it is not. people have trying to “cure” it in ways there is not just dangerous but deadly. and some parents act like it is the worst thing there can happen to their kid.

also there is a charity group called Autism speaks, they are the abselout worst and no one should support them. and here is a good video explaing why

4 Likes

also have you read silent voice, the MC has autism.

2 Likes

But what about one who is more serve
or who would have nonverbal autism

1 Like

No I haven’t read silent voice . I will look into it

1 Like

I honeslty dont know anyone who is nonverbal. I have a lot (and I mean a lot ) of friends who is also autistic. and most you dont notice before you spend time with them. and there it still often not your first thought

1 Like

That’s so cool!

But as a teacher assistant, I work with kids who have different disabilities and there is one who I’m really fascinated by because she has nonverbal autism but understands what I’m saying. I just want something like that cause that’s personals to me

1 Like

of course, she understands she doesn’t talk, she is not deaf. that is a thing I often have heard about people talk about autistic people like they don’t understand you. when in fact we understand very well.

Well learning disability i know is dyscalculia and dyslexia

2 Likes

I have dyslexia ~

2 Likes

NO! that’s not what I meant… I’m not good with words.
And even some deaf people know what your saying even when your not signing.

2 Likes

What you need help with?

1 Like

I’m not good at explaining either and i don’t really know how to write about autism because i don’t really understand myself but you can do some research on it my story the mc has dyscalculia and dyslexia and doesn’t like school in general

1 Like

I don’t know what I need help with anymore. . . :pensive:
I just am really interested in stuff like this. It all started when Father Autism popped up in my recommend on youtube. And I’m still very uneducated on it.

1 Like

the video I posted early is a vlog by an autistic, I reocmand you to follow that and see her videos. here is a few more I recomand

2 Likes

As long as you dont force it in. Make it natural to the plot and story line and dont use it as a throwaway, but also dont cram it in for no reason.

2 Likes

I have autism and I can tell you a few things from experience.

You feel like you don’t fit in. Everyone around you is behaving like a “normal” person but you stick out like a sore thumb.

Everyone looks and laughs at you because of the weird things you do.

You went to be normal but your brain doesn’t let you. You always feel like the broken toy which needs to be thrown out in the bin.

Some things which may be funny to others, really hurt you but you stay silent because who wants to hear the opinion of an autistic person.

Everyone isolates you, people only talk to you when they want something or a favour.

You’ll always be second best no matter what happens. You will never be anyone’s first choice. Once they get what they want, you go back to being a lost cause.

Processing emotions and tasks is a challenge. No one understands that interrupting someone who is trying to reload their brain is extremely frustrating. Think of the autistic brain as a computer. You’re in the middle of a task but the computer freezes, so you take a moment to try and get back on track. But you’re impatient so you keep clicking and clicking driving the hard drive crazy.

You’re scared to ask questions because you’re afraid that someone might accuse you of asking a stupid one. I mean everyone should know right?

You’re scared to reach out for help as that might show your weakness.

As soon as people find out you’re autistic, they no longer treat you like a human being. They treat you like someone who’s stupid with an IQ of zero. Very patronising.

When someone shouts at you (even if it’s over a little thing which might not matter), or when someone gets upset by something you said, your anxiety goes into over drive. You believe that you’re not good enough and question your existence. Hurting people is not our nature so when it happens, we get REALLY upset.

You say things which others might find offensive or shocking but you don’t know that. At the end of the day, you’re mother nature’s creation which went horribly wrong.

Everyday you wake up and the first thought that goes into your mind is, ACT BLOODY NORMAL DON’T BE A STUPID #%€$!!!

This is how us autistic people feel every day. This is me talking from my experience. Use that experience and turn it into a story. X

4 Likes

Yeah i understand how you feel :disappointed_relieved:
I try to research and understand the best way i can to my acknowledge

1 Like

Wow that was really emotional i do don’t like i don’t fit in but because i have a learning disability :woman_shrugging:
Thank you for sharing your story but hey we’re all not normal i know I’m not i rather stand out and be different then be like everyone else.
Now i sort understand autism.

2 Likes

I totally support this! You could make the main character autistic or make it someone that they are really close to. It is important to remember that autism has a spectrum. My sister is on the really severe end of the autism spectrum, and she is unable to talk or do many things by herself. If you have any questions that I can help you with, you can ask!

2 Likes