I already made a thread about this, but I still need more answers

Hi! I made a thread about how I didn’t know how to be funny.

So, I am writing a comedy story. I still have no idea how to be funny. comedy is subjective, so there isn’t much I can do when I think something is funny and people will like it, but it turns out that there are people who don’t think it’s funny?? (That didn’t make any sense :joy:)
This is the important part.
One of the assassins in my story (my story is about assassins) is an aspiring stand-up comedian and he would like to be on what is the equivalent of SNL. So, basically what I’m asking for is help with stand-up and what jokes to include and that type of thing. PLEASE, PLEASE REPLY TO THIS THREAD AND LEAVE ANYTHING. I am so desperate at the moment, it’s actually so bad.
Thank you for clicking on this and reading through it if you did.
Random tags: @Amphia @emmastarz @LemonProductions @queen.sofia @ciciliano @Youngbl00d @Aquabelle @Ouijiloveletters @PurpleRadiance @CiCe @Caity09 @CrimsonJewel @SofiaxD @CancerousLove
SORRY IF YOU DIDN’T WANT TO BE TAGGED. :expressionless:

14 Likes

when your not funny at all but is attempting to write a comedy story too :new_moon_with_face:

watch SNL videos and steal their jokes?

3 Likes

BAHAHAHAH THAT IS LITERALLY MEEEE OMG OMG OMG I am relating to you on ANOTHER LEVEL
nafndoifaoieoabgieropwjeiobo :joy: :joy:
I have considered that (not stealing directly, but kind of going along with some of their style of sketches) but then I thought about it and it wouldn’t really exactly vibe with my story. lol

3 Likes

I would definitely watch some stand up shows and try and get inspiration from them
Some recommendations:
Dave Chappelle
Dimitri Martin

3 Likes

Here are some jokes that I got for my story. Maybe you can get inspired by them?

Joke 1

-Have you heard of Murphy’s Law?

• No
  • It means anything can go wrong will go wrong.
    -Well, What’s about Cole’s law?
    -What is that?
    -It’s a thin-slice cabbage dripped in mayonnaise and sour cream
Joke 2

The Secret Service just had to change protocol for when the president is in danger. Instead of yelling “get down!”, they have to yell “Donald, duck!”

Joke 3

The other day, my wife asked me to pass her lipstick but I accidentally passed her a glue stick. She still isn’t talking to me.

Joke 4

Why is Peter Pan always flying?
He Never Lands.

8 Likes

@casuallylaughs Thank you for the suggestions! I will go check them out. Also, I love your username!
@queen.sofia Thank you for the jokes! I love the second one. They are all so, so funny! Did you make them up? I have seen the last one before somewhere, but I haven’t seen the first three.

2 Likes

lmao here’s my pathetic attempt at helping.

Brushing your teeth is the only time you clean your skeleton

so here’s the thing, Im more slapstick comedy/sarcasm so stand-up comedy has never been my “thing”. Stand-up comedy,I 'd suggest that you keep a running-gag so it’s consistent/funny everytime it repeated (however make sure that you dont repeat it all the time since it ruins it; it has to be used when the moment is right.) You have to create the “moment” when building a punchline so it flows smoothly. (lmao idk what im saying.) If you need sarcasm lines, ig you can ask me XD?
Also, don’t throw away a character’s personality for a joke because it deprives the story’s potential a bit. ;-;.
sorry, this was bad.

2 Likes

Noooo, I wish I was that funny. But, I searched them up online and changed them up a bit, also you might want to watch some comedy movie. Or just write a rant about cliche story?

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

2 Likes

@Youngbl00d- Thank you for the advice! I really appreciate it. I also understand what you’re saying. I feel like the sarcasm thing would work for the assassin that is going to be into stand-up. I would be willing to PM you for more help! You are very helpful. x
@queen.sofia I see! It was still very creative and funny. Thanks for the suggestions! I kind of like that (ranting about a cliche story.)
@casuallylaughs- Of course! x
It’s no problem :grin:

3 Likes

lmao sure “helpful” that’s my name
Youngbl00d “Helpful” Fivesecondsofsummerfanatic

No worries! Sure you can PM me (and I’ll try not to ask my bestie, Google, for the answers.)

1 Like

Uhhhh…I’m not funny. I’m depressing.

1 Like

@Youngbl00d You are helpful! Don’t doubt yourself :blush:
@Ouijiloveletters That’s not true!

1 Like

:full_moon_with_face:

here’s this website tho XD (just in case…cuz you’ll never know…)

3 Likes

I mean, I know a couple jokes…?

1 Like

@Youngbl00d Thanks for the website, I’ll go check it out!
@Ouijiloveletters That’s great! Whenever I make a joke, people call me out for not being funny hahah

1 Like

I’m writing a comedy but uh yeah not the greatest at a advice with stand up comedy but here’s A funny stand up comedy guy :joy:

Summary

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B--T6gTgb8U/?igshid=1s6bxrqqkxe2u

He does curse so-

1 Like

I’d love to PM you about it!

A lot of comedians that I watch like Fluffy (Gabriel Iglesias) and Jimmy Yang talk about their upbringing and childhood.

Irony is a great tool, but I hate it when it’s like on those Disney shows, where the irony just gets wayyyy wayy too old and you just expect everything (and the moment the ironic thing that you expected happens, you’re just like “ugh.”)

2 Likes

Omg I just watched the video and it was so funny!! Thanks for sending that over, it was really nice to watch. I think it gave me a little inspiration. It was kind of what I was going for in my head, so I think I have some idea?
And good luck with writing your comedy!

1 Like

@Amphia Yeah I like that. I think talking about your past experiences is a funny thing to do. I also agree with what you’re saying about irony and Disney. Omg, don’t get me started on themmmm
Like I love them, but sometimes the irony is just too much :joy:

1 Like