I am: An indecisive, struggling, mess of an author

Okay so… My phone is broken, I have to get a battery for it and a case, and currently my only communicating platform is on my computer. I just really need someone to talk to, I’ve been extremely stressed. And I feel like crying, from being overwhelmed with emotions, even though the reason may seem dumb or ridiculous, Basically, going on Instagram I’ve noticed a lot of supernatural, ability, sci-fi, related stories coming out from left to right. I know “getting upset” over that is the most absurd thing ever, but hear me out. As I’m seeing all these authors post about their character, and the new story, and it shows their details, I get discouraged and unmotivated because of the fact that my story could become overrated soon once it’s published. I am unsure of the plot right now, and am very indecisive with how I want my characters to look, as well as a description. I’m a complete mess, And I hate myself so much actually. But anywho, I’m not saying anything bad, Im just super stressed and at the point of giving up with my story mostly because it is sci-fi supernatural and will probaby end up being overrated because of all the same genre stories coming out, and mostly because almost everything is being done already and mine only has SO MUCH MORE PLOT ROOM left until it seems similar to another’s. Just a vent… or if anyone could offer up advice for this indecisive, struggling, mess of an author :sob: :sob: :sob:

10 Likes

Figure out your character design, personality traits, EVERYTHING. Figure out how you want your chapters to start and end. How you want your characters to interact with one another. Figure out what you want your story to boil down to. Most importantly, don’t rush! Or else it’ll become sloppy and not as captivating as it could be.
Just because alot of fantasy stories are being published doesn’t mean that yours won’t do well. It’s all about consistency and trying your absolute best. As for originality… everything has been done. Period. There are no “original” ideas. Of course that doesn’t mean blatantly copy someone. Writing a story from beginning to end takes a lot of time. Don’t feel discouraged. You just might need to spend a little more time on the thought process of everything. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

Exactly, working on a story, it’s a lot of time and effort. Don’t hate yourself, love yourself, stay positive, and don’t give up on your story. Since your story is a sci-fi supernatural, DO IT, it’s your creation, we’re all here to help you if you are stuck on anything. :heavy_heart_exclamation: :100:

8 Likes

Just take your time and think how you want your story to be and you can always ask people to review don’t rush.
It takes time and to process everything.

Here’s a website that helps with planning out stories really well for any future stories or presents ones. https://www.storyplanner.com
You can pm me

4 Likes

Worry about you and your story don’t compare yourself to others.
Just because their making those sci-fi doesn’t mean you can’t make yours either. If they stuff is bothering don’t look at it focus on yourself unfollow if you have too.

3 Likes

I agree with @Faith.episode.cats . For me, comparing yourself to others is a way of letting yourself down, which I see most people today are doing. Everyone is unique in their rown way and they have their own style to create a story. It’s okay if your story is similar to those Sci-fi stories because let’s be honest, we all been to a time where we read others’ stories and feel inspire by them so we want to make our own story using what inspired us (not the same as copying). Most of the stories are similar in some ways, whether if they’re about bad boys or hot millionaire, for examples. You should do whatever you feel like you are doing. It’s also alright to be stress, overwhelm, and upset because we’ve all been there at some points before. Some advice for you is to destress yourself, calm down, read more scifi stories (if needed) to feel inspired (not copy), and believe in yourself is key.

Also, hope this might help: If you're feeling down today click here please @Bonswayout

4 Likes

I definitely agree with @WhoopsyJenny and give yourself a prep talk i know that says cheesy but it works “I can do this!!” Try meditation it works for me. Or just something like yoga Everything takes time and patience. Especially when it comes to writing so just relax and don’t rush.

2 Likes

Hey, thank you for this. It really means a lot to me that so many people are sharing advice and trying to help an struggling author like me. I definitely know that, I am my own worst enemy when I do this. I even hate saying it out loud how I compare myself to others. I’ve always struggled with that since I was young. I’m just finding it difficult to create my characters and their looks as well as figuring the plot out then writing a summary/description of what the story is about. I’ve noticed this:

Problem #1 - Episodes female ink features are very… what’s the word? Generic. Basic. Overused. The features are all the same, and the characters I end up creating always look similar to another character I’ve made for my story. Or they end up looking similar to another character I’ve previously seen in a story.

OVERALL THANK YOU FOR HOW SWEET YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE HAS BEEN. NORMALLY PEOPLE COULD BE RUDE ABOUT IT, BUT I APPRECIATE HOW KIND AND UNDERSTANDING YOU ALL HAVE BEEN ILYSM :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :two_hearts:

3 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know what other relazing methods I can use, but hopefully I’ll find one. Usually, when my mom is in the backyard, we’ll get out towles lay them on the ground, put some music on, and relax while getting our tan on lmao. And now we have a pool. So, I could also relax in there as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think part of the issue might be that you’re tying your sense of worth or validation to your work - which is really easy to do without realizing it or slip into! So the stress of worrying about your whether your work is bad, cliche, difficult to do, etc. is going to be really hard because it’s tied to your emotional state and the more stress you get over struggling to write, the worse it feels. I understand how debilitating it can be, because I’ve been there many times.

First, I would encourage you to make Episode friends you get along with and be mutually supportive of. I kind of fell into my own friend group without trying and it’s been really wonderful having them there to talk to. And if you can find genuine ones, I think you’ll find author friends can be a great support system and a strong source of reason. I would make an IG and follow authors you like. If they’re smaller authors, share similar values, and you interact with them and their posts in a genuine way, you’ll make mutual followers and maybe even friends. Just try not to force it and be yourself. :slight_smile:

And cliches aren’t bad! We love reading the same things over and over again. Just write the story you would like to read, have fun and put some elbow grease into your story, and there will be somebody who wants to read it. I feel like people aren’t as odd or unlikable as they think they are. Honestly, I believe really strongly in that one Frida Kahlo quote and apply it to my own writing:

I used to think I was the strangest person in the world but then I thought there are so many people in the world, there must be someone just like me who feels bizarre and flawed in the same ways I do. I would imagine her, and imagine that she must be out there thinking of me, too. Well, I hope that if you are out there and read this and know that, yes, it’s true I’m here, and I’m just as strange as you.

5 Likes

These posts were also very helpful to me personally.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for understanding. I was afraid someone would tell me I was being ridiculous, but it’s really not my fault. I don’t want to feel this way, I don’t want to let my emotional state get in the way of my writing, but then again when your mental health state isn’t where it should be- there are going to be multiple bumps in the brainstorming process you’ll come across, I was annoyed and frustrated with this struggle to where I was almost close to giving up entirely on my story.About having an instagram, I have one. it’s @Miya.epi and I have made quite a few friends on there that try to help and support me through this. I’ve been looking for proofreaders, critiquers, advice givers, and someone who will just be brutally honest when I show them my ideas so I know what i’m working with. And thank you so much for chiming in on this aggrevating situation at the moment. I really appreciate yours and everyone else’s kindness and support! :blue_heart: :blue_heart: :blue_heart:

3 Likes

You’re so right! I know for myself, the quarantine has only worsened my depression and that makes it really easy to be angry with myself even though poor health (physical, mental, or even both) can make creative endeavors very difficult to do.

It’s really important to learn how to treat yourself like a friend and that means learning how to forgive and be kind to yourself when all you really want to do is be cruel to yourself because it feels like “simple” tasks should be easier. And it’s okay to try to learn how to do that incrementally. The best part is that when you treat yourself kindly, making art seems to come a little easier too. :tulip:

1 Like

I understand how you feeling by your phone was broke. It is normal emotions. If I were you, I am sure I had a hard time for write on Episode for first time. Many times, I’ve been a make a mistake by codings. Be honestly, I was struggle and overwhelmed by my brain. If you need help for our help. We can help you so great than scared and not sure to ask by yourself. We are glad to help for sure than you thought and expecting.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.