I am at a Quandary relating to my Storys' Genre, Advice would be appreciated

Hello, I am currently writing the first chapter of a story I originally categorised as Comedy though reading through the few scenes with dialogue I feel that it isn’t very funny. It does have a romantic subplot so I was considering making it Romance but I feel like it also has a family/friendship focused aspect to it too.
I was considering making it a romcom but since the romance is planned to be optional I’m not sure if it would count.

I am just wondering if for the tone I should pick a genre and try to write for it or if I should finished at least the first three chapters before deciding on a genre?

Shortened version: Should I finish three chapters before deciding a genre or pick one from the start?

Whether or not I find a solution, I don’t actually know how to make a reply a solution, I hope everyone has a good night or day.

1 Like

I’m writing a story to or trying to, i haven’t picked a genre yet either but it depends if you want to write around it or not as i think i’m just going to pick it at the end of getting to know what i’m going to write for the characters.

1 Like

Okay, good luck with your story by the way. I hope it goes the goes the way you envision it to.

Does that sound rude of me? Sorry.

1 Like

No not at all :joy: I hope your story/ stories go well too.

1 Like

Thank you.

1 Like