I am starting my first serious art project and need help

So like I mentioned, I’m starting something serious that I really like and I don’t quite know how to draw the hair.

I still need to fix the lips and stuff but do you guys have any tips for hair? Also be brutally honest about how I can improve. I won’t take it personally!

5 Likes

make your canvas bigger if possible it looks kinda pixelated

and for hair make sure to add highlights in, it makes it look less flat. also add stray hairs helps it look less boxy if that makes sense (:

3 Likes

Try adding more hard shading

2 Likes

Instead of drawing the sketch of the hair, I just use a brush and draw. I use custom brushes which you can find on yt. I use round real hair brush also. Then I use another layer behind it and color that part in.

Example of what I meant

This

Instead of this

It really depends on what hair your drawing though, like if you actually draw the sketch of the hair, it can be useful.

I use highlights with the add layer to make it lighter and the multiply layer to make it darker. You can use the stabilizer and set it all the way up to for it to be easier when I draw. The stabilizer makes the hair brush more straighter so I recommend…and so, yeah.

1 Like

That has helped me SO freaking much! Tytyty

1 Like

And what stabilizer?

1 Like

Np! Glad to help!

1 Like

Where tho?

This

To make the lines straighter.

1 Like

OH ok thank you for clarifying!

1 Like

Also recommend putting on force fade too, that helps, and putting on length of start and length of end to 100%.

After time makes the lines for neat but I recommend real time. It’s easier be beginners.

1 Like

Ok

1 Like

Np!

1 Like

Sorry if it seems like I’m bothering how but how in the world do you do eyelashes?

That is how my painting looks so far

2 Likes

Oof, I have no idea. Try to use the dip pin hard brush and draw the lashes by fast stroke so it can look properly.

I found this, maybe it can help you.

Lashes tutorial on IbisPaintx - YouTube

2 Likes

don’t try to make them ‘perfect’ and as said above use quick brush strokes. lashes have a curve to them and don’t come straight out of the eye. make them lighter towards the inside of the eye and more full towards the outside (:

3 Likes

Make sure to use the linear fade shape though. It makes it looks less messy.

2 Likes

Hair, neck, nose, eyes, chin

Also the face is way lighter than the reference

I was only use if the reference for the face shape.

1 Like