I Dislike R4Rs - Your Thoughts?

When I read a story, I do it because I thought it sounded captivating and interesting. I hope the same is true for people reading my story. I don’t want anyone reading out of obligation (when they actually read. So many R4R people don’t).

I’ve done R4Rs in the past and I’ve decided they just don’t give me the audience I want to be reading my story. If you’re only reading it because of some deal, I’d rather you didn’t read at all.

Your thoughts?

Do you like R4R?

• Yes!!!
  • Nah.
  • Eh. They’re okay.

0 voters

6 Likes

Lemme tell you what I think:

Okay, so i mean i’ve done R4R before, but i only read stories that u found interesting. I don’t want to be forced to read a story.

2 Likes

I completely agree with what you’ve said here. To put in my two pennies worth, I have done a few R4Rs, a couple of years ago, when I first joined. Another problem I had with them was that when I went to the effort of reading a few episodes and making detailed notes, I’d get one episode read in return followed by a reply saying “You story is (insert adjective here)!”
Then coming to the conclusion that R4Rs are just for amateur writers who are trying to get reads (and not actually improve), I gave up and just let people read it if they want to. :wink:

2 Likes

It’s interesting that there are so many R4Rs when no one on here is willing to say they like it.

1 Like

I built my early audience by doing review-for-review because I wanted feedback as well, but I’ve never been a big fan of read for read. I don’t even do review for review anymore because I’d often give someone a detailed, thought-out response and get no suggestions for improvement back (and, in hindsight, I had a lot of room for improvement). Like you said, I read stories that interest me and expect others to do the same.

1 Like