I found out how to cut in between zones!

I just wanted to share this with everyone. I saw some older questions about how to “cut” in between zones, where you want your scene to be exactly in between the two zones (such as, if there’s a couch or something that’s in between two zones), so I wanted to share my findings.

So, I personally have been successful at having a scene right in between the zones, and this is how I do it. This is an example with the hospital background. I wanted my scene to show the corner of the hospital wall, where is shows the wall and the door as well, because I wanted to show my character hiding behind the wall and eavesdropping. However, you may notice that if you try to focus in zone 1, the furthest you can focus is the end of the wall, so you can’t actually see the door. And if you cut to zone 2, then you can’t see the wall, it only goes to that one corner.

So, here’s what I did:
INT. HOSPITAL HALL - DAY
@cut to zone 1
&zoom on 740 251 to 126% in 0

What you need to do is basically edit the first number manually. If you try to use the camera and focus in zone 1, the most it gives me is like a 320 for the first number. It won’t let you go further. Same in zone 2. So you can’t seem to get past that number if you use the camera to focus in those zones.

However, if you manually input a different number, such as a 740, it will actually show you the scene in between the zones!

But, keep in mind, if you play out this scene and then you go back to the camera and click on focus, and try to focus it around, guess what, it will automatically take you back to 320 in zone 1. BUT, you can still zoom in and out however you want! Just don’t click on focus, or it takes you back to the “original restrictions” of that zone.

I don’t know if anyone knew about this or if this has been discussed, but I just wanted to share what I discovered.

So basically, if you want a scene in between the zones, just edit the first number manually, and then find the right zoom that you need for your scene, but don’t touch the focus.

14 Likes

I am trying to do this and am struggling so much, haha. It seems really straight forward and I do exactly what you do, but no matter what I change the first number to, it just defaults to the original. -_-

Update: Okay, I actually learned two things.
1.) I was not going nearly hard enough - I tried bumping the original number by a few hundred, but didn’t actually see real movement until I was using numbers closer to 10,000, lol. (I’m using the INT. Bakery - Day background so it probably just depends what background you’re using)
2.) This doesn’t seem to work if I have the zoom set to 100%. But it does for anything above that? Once I set it to 101% the scrolling worked.

1 Like

Hmm, the backgrounds I was using worked with changing the number by a couple hundred. Yeah, it doesn’t seem to work with 100% zoom, I usually use at least 120% with this method.

2 Likes

Here’s a direct placement between zones 1 and 2: @zoom on 16500 0 to 101% in 0

Here’s a direct placement between zones 2 and 3: @cut to zone 2 and zoom on 16500 0 to 101% in 0

Also wanted to add, the farther you’re zoomed out the higher the x coordinate number will be and the closer your zoomed in the lower the number.

17 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.