I have a question? 😅

So um… There are quite some people being banned for 1000 years. Can I know why? Why is it 1000 and not any other numbers?

8 Likes

1000 years is way too much, the team really doesn’t want those people to return

10 Likes

What did those people even do to get banned that much???

6 Likes

Yeah, and who knows, maybe there wouldn’t be an episode forum anymore by 3020

6 Likes

Yeah, I think a year is really long enough

4 Likes

Idk, but they still haven’t gotten rid of art stealers- :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

8 Likes

I agree with @Galaxy.Epi on the max of 5 months - a year depending on the offense. It would make more sense to say something like “banned forever” or “permanently banned.” 1000 years is kind of…eh…

9 Likes

It is how the software works. If we decide to indefinitely ban someone the tool, rather than adding the number of days we specify, adds 1k years to the date.

We don’t take that step in most cases. Usually people are silenced for a week or less. However, if you threaten the staff, do something illegal, or consistently break rules and it is obvious you know you are breaking the rules, it can happen. I would encourage everyone to familiarize yourself with the table found here: Our Forum Moderation Standards and Guidelines

The above explains pretty thoroughly how this can happen and what you need to do to avoid it.

Also, please feel free to discuss banning policy as much as you like; however, do not discuss specific banned users as that is not allowed.

9 Likes

Episode doesn’t take constructive criticism too well apparently and it’s sad because a user I knew was banned for 1000 years last week and I miss her comments. Were they rude? A bit, maybe. But nobody deserves to be suspended permanently only over advice regarding Episode not listening to readers. I really want her to come back, it’s not fair.

7 Likes

Don’t mention her name or it will get flagged. Just say, “A user was…”

3 Likes

That’s quite confusing. Why don’t they just say “You have been banned for an indefinite amount of time.” Or “You have been banned. We are unsure for how long.”

2 Likes

I’m guessing she means that discourse says 1,000 years automatically rather than them? I don’t think they personally tell us, the system does.

3 Likes

Oh okay…

1 Like

Yeah. Since apparently not many people are banned as Arlene says, I think it would be better to tell the person banned straight out that they aren’t coming back.

1 Like

Exactly. The software does that, not us. It is just how they designed it. I’ve checked and apparently changing it to something less confusing/alarming is not high on their list of priorities.

4 Likes

It’s just mods way of saying “You can kiss Episode Forum goodbye” :ok_hand:

3 Likes

I don’t know why they don’t just say Banned for life no one will live to 1000 years old :joy:

1 Like