I need a bit of help

Hey! I need a bit of help with my directing work. I wanna make a scene kinda like this but I don’t know how to direct it and make it come to life! So the scene starts with my main character Adriana walking into this background through zone one “INT. BUSINESS HALLWAY - DAY” So she’s gonna walk in and then suddenly bump into someone, (A boy named Felix) So I want this bump to happen really quickly so the reader’s don’t really get a clear view of Felix. Then I want Adriana to look at Felix and be like, “YOU?!” and hearing her words he runs away in the opposite direction. I’m a bit new to directing and need help with this, I would appreciate if someone helps me!

Hi.
I can help you if you wish.
Fist thing first: are you using INk or LL?
The animations are kind of different and so would the scripting of the scene be.
What kind of “you” would it be? The angry, surprised or,
<3

I have a cool idea, and I can even make you a template if you want, but what style are you using? (For the animations)

Ooh Thanks! I’m using Ink!

I’m using Ink, and I can’t wait to see your cool idea!

Wait, I’ll make it now. I’ll share it here in a few minutes.

Thank you! I appreciate the help

1. I’d start by an image of the MC walking down the corridor, thinking about something in the form of a NARRATOR monologe, and not looking where she’s going. Zoom in to body size to have better use of the background.

2. Then go for a quick zoom of the approching guys feet, to make the reader aware of that he’s there, and something will happen.

3. Back to the MC, walking

4. The two of them walking into each other. Slap_face_recive works great for an unexpected bump into something/someone. Make sure to make a quick zoom to the MC’s face, so not to see the guy.

5. Switch scene. From chest, have the guy say something. For instance “I’m sorry” or “Watch where you’re going”. All depending what type of personality he has. Have the MC answering with “I’m fine” or “I’m sorry” or something. Maybe even have a choice here(?) Put her outside of the scene and spot direct the bubble. Then make a pan/zoom up to the guys face.

6. Back to the MC. Suprised or angry response - don’t know what you’re going for. “YOU!”

7. Close up of the guy getting startled, panicked. What reaction you want. Zoom out and have him running away in the oposite direction.

8. Back to closeup of MC

Play around with the background, placing the characters different deppending on what angles, viewpoints you want.

Here’s a small basic example

INT. BUSINESS HALLWAY - DAY
&zoom on 54 314 to 169% in 0
&ADRIANA spot 0.678 114 248 in zone 1 AND ADRIANA faces right AND ADRIANA walks to spot 0.678 517 257 in 4.0
#THEN ADRIANA is slap_face_receive
&pan to zone 3 in 4.0
NARRATOR
Some sets of imformative monologue while walking
Her not looking were she’s going.

&cut to zone 3
&zoom on 765 48 to 351% in 0
&FELIX spot 0.883 130 197 in zone 3 AND FELIX faces left AND FELIX is walk_neutral
@pause for 2.0

&zoom on 54 314 to 169% in 0
&ADRIANA spot 0.678 114 248 in zone 1 at layer 2 AND ADRIANA faces right AND ADRIANA walks to spot 0.678 517 257 in 4.0 THEN ADRIANA is slap_face_receive
&FELIX spot 0.727 364 243 in zone 2 at layer 1 AND FELIX faces left

&pan to zone 2 in 4.0 AND zoom on 486 314 to 169% in 4.0 THEN zoom on 526 314 to 545% in 0.5
@pause for 2.0
&FELIX walks to spot 0.727 330 243 in 2.0 THEN FELIX is talk_neutral_deny
@pause for 3.0

&cut to zone 3
&zoom on 750 291 to 1024% in 0
&FELIX spot 0.546 117 313 in zone 3 AND FELIX faces left AND FELIX is idle
&ADRIANA spot 0.678 114 248 in zone 1
&speechbubble is 184 421 to 100% with tail_top_left
FELIX (talk_awkward)
I’m so sorry. Are you okay?
&speechbubble is 117 393 to 100% with tail_bottom_left
ADRIANA
I think so…
(Wait a minute, I know that voice…)
&speechbubble reset
&zoom on 748 329 to 1024% in 2.0
@pause for 2.5

&cut to zone 2
&zoom on 320 373 to 248% in 0
&ADRIANA spot 0.678 25 279 in zone 2 at layer 1 AND ADRIANA faces right
&FELIX spot 0.913 100 151 in zone 2 at layer 2 AND FELIX faces right AND FELIX is rear
ADRIANA (talk_pound_chest)
YOU!

&cut to zone 3
&zoom on 729 312 to 480% in 0
&FELIX spot 0.546 117 313 in zone 3 AND FELIX faces left AND FELIX is dismayed
@pause for 2.0

&cut to zone 2
&zoom on 320 373 to 248% in 0
&ADRIANA spot 0.678 25 279 in zone 2 at layer 1 AND ADRIANA faces right AND ADRIANA is arms_crossed_angry
&FELIX spot 0.913 100 151 in zone 2 at layer 2 AND FELIX faces right AND FELIX is rear
@pause for 1.0
&FELIX walks to spot 0.913 235 94 in 2.0 AND FELIX does it while run_athletic AND FELIX faces right
&ADRIANA is startled_surprised
@pause for 2

&cut to zone 2
&zoom on 940 24 to 112% in 0
&ADRIANA spot 0.678 114 248 in zone 2 at layer 1 AND ADRIANA faces right AND ADRIANA is disappointed
&FELIX spot 0.727 305 236 in zone 2 at layer 2 AND FELIX faces right AND FELIX is run_athletic AND FELIX walks to spot 0.727 725 236 in 2.0 AND FELIX does it while run_athletic
&pan to zone 3 in 1.3
@pause for 1.5
&cut to zone 2 AND zoom on 324 308 to 300% in 0
&ADRIANA spot 0.678 52 256
ADRIANA (disappointed)
(Seriously?)

Hope it gives you some inspiration.
<3

Is there like a way to move an overlay around? Because with my background and overlay INT. CLASSROOM LA DESK - DAY with DESK CLASS it doesn’t look right…

Yes there is, babygirl!

And here is a guide the incredible @Dara.Amarie that will assist you in doing so:

A Guide to Using & Animating OVERLAYS

Omg Thank you so much for this!

My pleasure. It was fun. :smiley:
Good luck with your story. May the code be with you.

<3

How do you even code like that?! Now after looking at your coding and looking at mines in the rest of my story I feel so amatuerish! And how in the world did you have time to code all that for me!

Thank you, :flushed:
I’ve played around lots, and lots, and lots with the SE (script editor). I have about four ( half finished) stories that I’ve never put up for anyone to read. The more you use it the easier it gets. And thanks to the web previewer it’s become a lot less hassle. Probably helps with having a a bit of history with coding as well. So please, don’t feel like that. We’re all beginners at some point. You should see the first story I ever did…
On second thought, no you definitively shouldn’t :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

So just keep playing around and have fun., and keep in mind the 3 ground rules to giving life to the story (besides the dialouge and storyline)

1. Angles
  2. Layers
  3. Overlays

Used correctly those three can give even the simplest scene a completely different feel.

And should you need any help feel free to give me a hollo, or ask any of the other helpful members at the forum, we’re all happy to help.

<3

How do you prevent a character that was there previously from just popping up in a scene? If that makes sense…

I think you use & instead of @ when placing the character

I tried that but they still just pop up…

You might wanna try asking @RudeInception 's thread.

I heard my name!

So, you want a CHAR to just be standing there when the scene begins?