I need advice on chapter length/lines. Help anyone?

Hiya!
How many lines should a chapter be? Now I do have outfit, hair, and lip choices.
I usually keep mine between 1200-1500 lines, is that too much? I never timed my episodes before but I will start so time lengths or amount of lines opinions would truly be amazing.

2 Likes

You mean how many minutes the chapter should be?

2 Likes

Yes, but when I write I go by number of lines. But yeah time length opinions.

2 Likes

Well, as a reader, (not an author) I like chapter that is 10-15 minutes long and 5 minutes for a chapter is way too short in my opinion.

3 Likes

Okay perfect, I am going to make sure to start timing them instead.
Thank you so much.

1 Like

Your welcome :blush:

1 Like

Going by lines is really hard. It all depends on how complex your story and your coding is.

I definitely suggest you time it.

3 Likes

Thank you so much :purple_heart: :purple_heart:

So I usually have roughly 1,000 lines of dialogue, and then code. Since coding takes so many lines, it doesn’t appear long for the viewer and many lines of code can be combined I don’t like to measure by lines.

I try to measure my episodes by minutes. So I put out chapters that were 5-7 min long. To me, that’s a perfectly acceptable amount of time. But that story got featured and was broadcasted to a larger audience who asked me to make chapters longer. I couldn’t of course since I had just completed that story, but for future reference, I learned that the general consensus is roughly 10 min long for an episode chapter.

Some readers prefer 10-15 min, and some prefer 5-10 min, but I’ve noticed that 10 min is roughly the common denominator.

What I do is time myself reading the story, and truly read the dialogue. I mean like read out loud (or whisper it to yourself). This will make you slow down and truly read it. While you’re doing this, time yourself with a stop watch. When I did this I figured out which chapters needed more time and which ones I could cut back on.

If you can’t figure out what to put in a chapter and want to make a gem choice, make a random dialogue scene between characters. You can put it for however many gems you decide and make your story longer.

You can do it!

1 Like

Thank you so much, this truly helped me. I always read them in my head not thinking of how reading aloud and in my head is completely different. Thank you thank you :star_struck: :star_struck: :purple_heart: :purple_heart:.

1 Like

I am more of a 10-15 minute person however 5 could be acceptible as long as you have no more then 20 which is just long and no lesss then 5 which would be disapointing then it’s ok. I would aim for 10-15.

1 Like

Thank you so much, :blush:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.