I need help writing my Asian-American character :yay:

So I’m writing a character, she’s (chinese) Asian-American. I am not from that ethnic group so I don’t want to get anything wrong or follow the stereotypes I’ve read from the internet.

Please help me!

How is their family life? (I know everyone’s is different but from your experience)

Customs?

Stereotypes I should avoid.

Anything else I should know?

Thank you! :grin:

1 Like

I’m not Asian-American but you could search up videos on YouTube titled ‘What it’s like being Asian American’ since I’ve seen quite a few of those on YouTube. Hope this helped :heartbeat:

1 Like

Thank you! :blush:

Only things I can think of is they tend to be more strict as in studies, cleaning etc (from my experience anyways aha) and it contains amazing family reunions (for example Chinese New Year) as there’s amazing traditional food being brought together (low key drooling while writing this).

If you have any other questions feel free to ask <3

1 Like

Thank you!
Do parents expect you to go into a certain job field?
Is there a certain age where you have to be out of the house or can you not leave till marriage?

1 Like

It varies, some asian parents do expect you to go to job fields like doctors, lawyers etc but some don’t (like mine thankfully) but it’s pretty common for them to push you towards big jobs like that

And the second one is pretty rare, you can most of the time leave whenever you want but once again it varies, but I’m sure it’s not common.

1 Like

For the second: I know it kinda depends on the person, but doesnt the family usually meet up again, like how you said with the reunions?

1 Like

Oh! And a lot of them like to get their kids into learning an instrument like piano or violin or any instrument, not sure why but many families are dedicated that way

1 Like

They do meet up again, but I’ve not heard of families making kids leave the house at a certain age, almost definite you can leave whenever you want, and the marriage thing they don’t have a certain age (unless you meet a super strict family)

Sorry I’m not even that great at these because I’m only half and I don’t live there and I’ve sadly forgotten a lot of things as it’s been ages since I’ve last been to China

1 Like

filial piety is a big thing in east asian culture. i can tell you as a korean that respecting your elders is probably the number one custom there and i’m sure in chinese culture as well. it’s also very common to see a collectivist culture, where family and working in unity is considered more important rather than individuality, which is why the last name comes first when writing/saying it.

1 Like

Thank you! You’ve been so much help. I might come back to ask you more :eyes:

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.