I need LGBTQ+ advice for my story!

Hey! I was trying to write a story and one of my main characters was a transgender in the closet, and I really wanted to get her point of view right. I didn’t want to just make up what I thought she was feeling, so I thought I’d ask for help. Keep in mind I’m trying to be as respectful as possible, does anyone have a story to share about how they knew and how they found out? I will not be taking any specific details or experiences for my story, I just want the overall thought process.

Let me know if I overstep any boundaries, and I’ll have an admin take down the thread.

Kisses,
Belle

1 Like

While I am not transgender, I did google search for you and found this : https://www.vox.com/a/transgender-stories I think it will give you a glimpse into (at least these 9 peoples’ lives. everyone’s story is different, ya know?) transgender life and love. :slight_smile: Hope it helps :slight_smile:

There are also some videos on Youtube of transgendered people speaking out about their life experience.

Thanks! This was really helpful!

1 Like

I’m glad I could help :slight_smile: Good luck with your story :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m going to start by saying that I am NOT trans, and the best people to consult are of course actual trans people. I have a few trans friends (I know of course that still doesn’t give me authority as an ~ally~), but I thought I would offer advice from one cis (not trans) person to another :blush:

The link @ColeCatalyst posted looks like a good resource, but I did see that it’s a little outdated (2015), so I wanted to add some more recent sources as well.

This article (from 2017) talks about transgender roles in Hollywood and movies, which I think will be very helpful! Here’s an excerpt I thought was particularly important:

“Constantly depicting the transition narrative reproduces the notion that trans folks are deceitful, hiding who they really are, “confused”, or that trans people are just men/women who “used to be” women/men. Identity struggle is then taken out of context and reduced to mere plot twists or character conflicts. By creating roles for trans characters that are only about their trans identity or about their struggles with transitioning, it makes it harder and harder for audiences to view trans people as complex individuals. Not all transness is about surgery or putting on make-up and a dress.

This article (also from 2017) was actually written by a trans writer, and goes more into developing trans characters and giving them depth and complexity.

I suggest doing more reading - if you search terms like “how to write transgender characters,” you’ll find a LOT more resources! I would say just pay attention to the date it was written, and who it was written by: like I said, people who are not trans do NOT have the authority to decide what trans people think/feel/want. Overall, I think representation isn’t necessarily about the plot - what’s important is how you develop and write the characters of the group you’re trying to represent. It’s always hard when you don’t belong to the group you’re writing about, but you just have to be mindful, do your research, and defer to people who do belong to those groups, because they really do know best.

Hope this helps!! Feel free to message me if you have any more questions :blush:

2 Likes

Hi there! I’m a trans guy :slight_smile: Happy to help.

The biggest advice I can give you is to treat your trans character as the gender that they truly are rather than as the gender that they were forced into at birth.

Don’t worry too much. The fact that you’re asking already means you’re on the right track. I’m happy to answer any question you might have. Feel free to DM me!

Little side note: we don’t use the word “transgender” as a noun. It’s an adjective (ie. “I am transgender” rather than “I am a transgender”). We also don’t say “transgendered” as it would be like an Indian person saying something like “I’m Indianed.”
Just little grammatical details :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Along with doing some research I highly recommend that you write this particular character alongside a trans person. Have them serve as a consultant. Especially since you want to write about something like coming out, which is a very important and significant moment in a queer person’s life. They can help you with many things including specific linguistics, certain emotions, add depth and realism to the character. It’s much better to write this particular character this way.

1 Like

Hello! I am not trans myself, so I will not speak on the T community’s behalf, however I could link you some youtube channels hosted by trans people telling their story :smiley:

Thanks! The article was a great help :heart:

1 Like

That’s a great idea, I’ll try it!

1 Like

That’d be great if you could message me the link :heart:

1 Like

Stef Sanjati https://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceSane
Chase Ross https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=chase+ross
Ash Hardell https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ash+hardell

1 Like