I need some deep help with understanding advanced choices (choices that you remember)

Hi guys! I need some fast help with understanding how advanced choices or choices that have some potential change in the story work. I read a couple forums here but I still don’t get it AT ALL! I need someone that can patiently guide me through in. Please comment help ONLY if you’re willing to guide me through this slowly cause I can be a bit frustrating at times. :grin:

If/elif problem

What’s the problem?

I want to let characters make choices throughout my story that have some influence on the story. Like if you read Bad Boy Bachelor Island you would know that only certain choices display certain outcomes and if you get them all right you proceed but if you get them wrong you go back to the checkpoint. I want to make chocies like those but a bit more less than that.

Hi.
There are three known ways you can add consequences to a storyline: brackets, gains, and the point system. All with their own pros and cons.

• Brackets
    Useful to save the readers choices from one episode to the next. By giving the choiice a name and surrounding it in brackets (name of the choice) you save the variable as a reference.

LI
What’s your favorite flower?
choice (favorite_flower)
“Roses”{
MC
It’s roses. You can’t beat a classic, right.

#and so forth

}
“Sunflowers”{
MC
I love sunflowers.

LI
Sunflowrs? Really?

#and so on

}
“No one”{
MC
I don’t have a favorite.

LI
Really? Don’t everyone?

#and so on

}

A pro with this system is that you can reuse the reference whenever you want, simply by putting the choice name into the conversation. (favorite_flower). No if or elses needed(?)
When you want to change the situation - for instance different background or overlay - you do need to make a proper reference in the shape of if/else

if (favorite flower is “Roses”){

LI
I’ve got you something.
#gives a bouquet of roses
MC
Roses!
LI
You said it was you’re favorite flower…
MC
You remembered!

#And so on
}
elif (favorite_flower is “Sunflowers”){

LI
I’ve got you something.
#gives a sunflower
MC
A sunflower!
LI
MC
You remmbered!

#And so on
}
else (favorite_flower is “no one”){

LI
I’ve got you something.
#gives a bouquet of random flowers
MC
**What’s this? **
LI
You couldn’t tell me your favorite flower so I got you a mix…
MC
I love it!

#And so on
}

It’s con however - same as gain - is that once you’ve made the choice you can never go back on it. But you’re able to reuse it whenever you want.

• Gains
    Gains an advanced way for your reader to be allowed to make long term choices during a full storyline, episode to episode - like brackets system but with less code.
    You simply add the reference at the end of your choice with a unique name, before you close the choice.

“Sunflowers”{
#Dialogue
gain Sunflowers
}

Then you reference it with the same if/else system as for the bracket system, but with less code, no if favorite_flower needed.

if (Roses){

LI
I’ve got you something.
#gives a bouquet of roses
MC
Roses!
LI
MC
You remembered!

#And so on
}
elif (Sunflowers){

LI
I’ve got you something.
#gives a sunflower
MC
A sunflower!
LI
MC
You remmbered!

#And so on
}
else (no one){

LI
I’ve got you something.
#gives a bouquet of random flowers
MC
What’s this?
LI
You couldn’t tell me your favorite flower so I got you a mix…
MC
I love it!

#And so on
}

A con with this system is that you always have to code with the if/else whenever making a reference.
Another is that - just like the bracket system -all gain choices is permanent. you can reference to them whenever you want, wherever you want in your storyline, but you can never change them without messing with the SC way to read the code.
Something you sometimes will want to do. Witch brings us to the final, more fluent system to have inpact on the story…

• The point system
    Each character in the story has a score board and the reader gain/lose points depending on their choises during the storyline. By adding as substract point to the charcters name, either when they speak or when they stand of screen.

@LI +1

You can then use this score to have different reactions and storylines with your characters by using if/elif/else system.

MC
Hey, do you want to go for a drink?

** if (LI >1)}**
I thought you’d never ask.
}
elif (LI <1){
With you?
I’d rather go out with a pig.
}
else{
LI
Maybe a nother time?
}

The point system is the only system that’s flexible during the storyline like this. not to mention that you can even clear it completely at any time you choose, and start from scratch.

@LI=0

You can choose to have the score invinsible (like I do myself) or you can announce it to the reader in the form of reader messages like Mette M Peleikis do in "Boyzoned"
The limit is in your imagination.
I love this system, but it does have one small con - it only works with characters! and You have to have them added to the scripted scene if so only as a lilliputian in the far corner of zone 4…!!!

Puh, this turned into quite the post, but hopefully you’ve gotten a better understanding of the different choice reminder systems with it. For the bracket and gain systems I suggest you pick one and stick with it as they only are two means to the same end, only different code system.
Good luck, and don’t hesitate to ask - either me or someone else on the forum - if you ever need help.

<3

Ps: Isn’t writing code fantastic!

How do I write an if-else script?
Having Trouble Remembering Choices

Thank you so much for explaining it so detailed. I will def ask you if I have any more problems. :blush:

Happy to help
<3

Closing due to inactivity :slight_smile: