I need your opinion with a horror story

I wanna do a horror story but I have a problem which one is scarier attic or basement?

• Basement
  • Attic

0 voters

or give your opinion below

3 Likes

Hi!
I feel like both can be scary! I however feel like basement is the most used one in horror stories/movies, so maybe you could go with the attic?

Ofcourse that’s my opinion, and it’s your story, so you should write scenes for the one you prefer.

Hope this helps!

4 Likes

Is there not a both option? :clown_face: I agree with @Salbat.Author the basement is the most used one, but my experience is attic (my bf had a haunted attic in his previous house. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: That was scary as f*ck.)

2 Likes

Anywhere dark always builds the tension for me because it keeps the majority of the creature hidden or my mind likes to fill in the blank.

I’d keep the context of your story in mind, what your creature is. Like if I had a story where the creature mimics the main character I could put the main character in the attic and have the creature call out/make the exact same noises. If I had a story where the creature was something more psychical/present it would be more intimidating to have them take over an entire section of the house and what better place than the basement? Cold, dark and underneath the ground.

3 Likes

Thx for your opinion :blush:

1 Like

Wow u made a really good point never thought of that :thinking:

1 Like

Thanks for the opinion

Did u see anything

1 Like

We always heard weird noises and for some reason we and our cats avoided going up there. (It was an attic where the cats could easily go to by stairs.)

1 Like

The basement is more scarier in my opinion, especially if the light down there is broken or doesn’t work and the character has to go into the darkness with a match or torch.

1 Like

I would choose both. But the attic is pretty creepy. Imagine lying in bed and hearing footsteps from the ceiling above. Yeah… I’m noping the hell outta there :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Basements are definitely scarier because a lot can happen in a basement, especially if it’s one without windows

1 Like

I would choose both if it was an option, but since there can only be one choice, it’d probably be the attic. While being trapped in the basement can kick in a more intense fight or flight response, I feel like an attic would send more message of a bone chilling atmosphere. If your story is more of a sad horror story(if you get what I mean), the attic would be a much better option. If your story is a down-right horror nightmare, go wild on the basement.

3 Likes

The basement is a pretty creepy place, but I’d go for the attic. Especially if it’s an old house where everything is falling apart, and a bit of moonlight comes through a broken window. I will add that there are a lot of similar stories. In such cases, I use a check for plagiarism, and if there are matches, then a rewording tool like this one https://edubirdie.com/rewording-tool comes to the rescue to keep things original. The main thing is to bring something of your own into such a story than you can hook the reader. Many people love clichés, but it’s worth adding your own twist. Good luck.

1 Like

I think generally the basement is scarries … But you know what makes it scary? It’s the fact basements are dark and you don’t know what there is and the biggest fear humans have is of the unknown so as long as you keep the setting right you can always turn the cliche on it’s side.

For instance in my horror story I chose for my character to be placed in the attic and then during a cold night she is awoken from her slumber by something extremely loud. It was a window that was oppened by an extremely strong gust of wind, one so strong it’s howl sounded like people screaming and the sound of the window hitting the wall with such trust made the woman jumpy. And since she was already jumpy, when she calmed down and told herself it was just strong wind, she got to the window to close it, and through the glass she saw a pair of handprints almost burned into the glass. And then they just turned to dust and dissapeared into the air.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.