I really don't understand labels,

I have had them explained to me, and I have done a bunch of reading. can someone please tell me what is wrong with this particular label, I am trying to give my character an option of kissing her date, I need to start giving choices in my story since she is going to have to pick between 3 guys, I don’t want to use gains, I’d like to use labels, so I need someone to explain it to me like I am a 4 year old
 here is the label I am getting an IF error on.
NARRATOR
Your decision will not have an impact on the story.
choice
if (“Yes Girl, Let him lay one on ya!”){
goto label kiss_john
}else (“No girl, Just no”){
goto label kiss_john2
}

I just need it broken down in the simplest form possible, I don’t want choices impacting the consistency of my chapter releases.
I appreciate the help thank you in advance,

1 Like

Choice
“Blah Blah”{
Goto Label Blah_Blah

I tried that originally but I don’t know how to end it without it going to her saying no

1 Like

NARRATOR
Your decision will not have an impact on the story.
choice
if (“Yes Girl, Let him lay one on ya!”){
goto kiss_john
}else (“No girl, Just no”){
goto kiss_john2
}

label kiss_john

dialogue blah blah

goto continue_story

label kiss_john2

dialogue blah blah

goto continue_story

label continue_story

I hope this makes sense

Honestly I can’t say I understand them because I don’t I just look at videos and use the label they use, so good luck! <3

I’m not particularly sure why my question was flagged, I don’t feel like it went against community standards, or that it wasn’t a creator question
 but I am still getting the error IF: if message, I wrote the script you wrote verbatim, so I am still confused

Thank you.

1 Like

Did you try removing labels?

@CourtneyBenjamin I think you’re making a choice wheter to date the guy or not. If that’s the case:

choice
“Yes Girl, Let him lay one on ya!”{
goto label kiss_john
}
“No girl, Just no”{
goto label kiss_john2
}

Else can’t be used in choices, it’s used in if/elif/else situations.

Ok I removed if and else now I am getting a different error message, when I remove if an else I am getting error message about an unexpected block
 :sob:

Could you possibly screenshot the whole script or send it here?

oh my god, I actually fixed it
 yay! it was a block that was not needed, when you use if/else what do you put instead of choice? I got an unexpected dialog message when I removed choice

Thank you so much for your help I appreciate it everyone

To be able to use if/elif/else the reader must have made a choice before, and with that choice, you have added a gain.

You have to add gains to use if/elif/else

choice
“Yes Girl, Let him lay one on ya!”{
gain kissed_john
goto label kiss_john
}
“No girl, Just no”{
gain john_nokiss
goto label kiss_john2
}

After making this choice, the system will take you to label. And will proceed as you wish. if/elif/else is used to remember the choice reader made. It could be used something like this:

BESTFRIEND
So, did you kiss John?
if (john_nokiss){
MC
Not really

}
elif (kissed_john){
MC
Yes. I did.
}
#script goes here after the possible outcome

To learn more about this:

I’ve tried to understand that guide for awhile, I guess my last question, if I use choices will they carry over into the next story, so when it comes to choosing the guy will the choice be remembered in the next chapter, or? I am thinking by your explanation that it being carried over and remembering if by using gains?

Gains will always be remembered throughout the same story. You can make a choice in episode 1, add gains and put it to work in episode 20. It would still work. It has to be the same story though, the same book.

I understand, Thank you so much Elx, I appreciate you and Atreus’s help, I guess I am better off using gains. thank you for explaining them in a way I was able to understand.

1 Like

Moved to Directing Helps and Tips since this is about coding. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about where to correctly create topics, and feel to PM me if there are any questions. :wink:

Thank you, I always thought directing tips would’ve been for overlays, spot positioning, backgrounds, sorry for the mistake

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.