I really need help with overlays!

Hi!
So, I need help with overlay. I wanted to add overlay in the middle of scene but when I previeved story overlay just disappeared. Howa can I add overlay AND make it like idk transition??
Sorry for my English, I’m from Poland.

Hi! You can add the overlay to your background and just set the opacity to invisible until you need it. Or you can add it into the scene when you want it, both I’ve given examples below-

INT. BACKGROUND with OVERLAYNAME to % x y in zone # at layer #
&overlay OVERLAYNAME opacity 0 in 0
some script here
&overlay OVERLAYNAME opacity 1 in 1

% is the size of the overlay. Default would be 1
X is where the overlay is positioned left-right on the screen
Y is where the overlay is positioned up-down on the screen
It would probably look something like this. 1 145 286 you can use the preview to find the correct placement numbers.
The opacity 1 in 1 will make the overlay turn from invisible, to visible in 1 second. So it kinda fades in. You can put whatever time you want from 0 (immediately shows on screen).

Another way is to create the overlay in the middle of the scene -
&overlay OVERLAYNAME create
&overlay OVERLAYNAME scales to % %
&overlay OVERLAYNAME shifts to x y in zone #
&overlay OVERLAYNAME moves to layer #
&overlay OVERLAYNAME opacity 1 in 0

Always specify the zone you want the overlay to be in. A lot of authors has trouble finding their overlay if they’re working in zone 3 and have not told the script it’s in zone 3 - overlays will automatically default to zone 1 otherwise.

Hope this has helped you a little bit! Let me know if you need any more help :slight_smile:

1 Like

WOW! This helped me a lot! thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.