I Think I Might Cry

I just found out that my first episode has to be at least 400 lines before I can publish it. The point of the first episode was supposed to be like an introduction and everything was finished! :anguished::sob::sob::sob::sob::anguished: I now have to figure out how to fix my chapters and I feel ready to cry :sob::sob::joy::joy::laughing::laughing: HELP!!! ME!!! :laughing::laughing:

5 Likes

Maybe add CC in it, it should add lines :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

How many lines is it?

Iā€™ll be honest- if I come across a story where the first episode is a super short ā€œintroductionā€, chances are I wonā€™t even bother continuing :see_no_evil:
Canā€™t you start your story in episode one as well?

9 Likes

Itā€™s about 250 lines.

Itā€™s part of the story, it was just more of a ā€˜get to know the main characterā€™ sort of chapter. Itā€™s just annoying because had I known about that, I would have put alot more into the first episode instead of continuing it in the next episode. It wonā€™t be that hard, itā€™s just annoying :unamused::frowning: Though, I appreciate you opinion. Thatā€™s good feedback. :grin:

Itā€™s better to add some story into your first chapter and not just have it as an introduction. Your first chapter is the pass-free chapter, so itā€™s your chance to sell your story to the readers. If they donā€™t like it, theyā€™re not going to spend passes on the other chapters!

9 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s true. I hadnā€™t been thinking of it like that.

2 Likes

In fact, Iā€™d say your first chapter has to be your best chapter. A lot of authorā€™s notes say ā€œthis first chapter is bad but it gets better, I promiseā€, but we as readers canā€™t be sure of that. Even if itā€™s not the best thing ever because you improve your writing style later, make it interesting so that it really sells the best aspects of your writing.

5 Likes

Since you havenā€™t published yet, you still have time to restructure your first few episodes. I understand that itā€™s annoying but I definitely think it will pay off in the long run. Like @ShanniiWrites said, the first chapter is your chance to sell your story. If your episode is only 250 lines, that might be two minutes (at best) and I think a lot of readers will feel like they donā€™t have any reason to continue reading.
As for getting to know the main character- personally, I prefer to be introduced to the character naturally. No ā€œThis is so-and-soā€ or ā€œHi Iā€™m so-and-so. Iā€™m 18. Blah blah.ā€ That could just be me however, generally I donā€™t really feel that introductions are necessary. Think of a TV show- we ā€œmeetā€ the characters straight away, but itā€™s rarely through an introduction. (Sorry for rambling but unnecessary character introductions are one of the things that will make me quit reading a story lol. Thatā€™s just my opinion, though.)

5 Likes

Definitely the case! The best writers can introduce you to characters without a massive exposition dump at the beginning. I want to discover a character with the plot!

3 Likes

No, donā€™t be sorry. I honestly cannot say how glad I am you guys are taking the time to give me feedback. :blush: Itā€™s really, really nice. Iā€™ve pub;lished written out stories before and no one ever takes the time to give me feedback so itā€™s honeslty really nice and helpful. Thank you guys so much!!! :blue_heart::blue_heart::blush::blush:

3 Likes

It wasnā€™t the type of introduction that lists name and age, it was more of a prologue, but I get it, and it totally makes sense.

1 Like

Just for reference, the scene Iā€™m writing for my current story is 900 lines longā€¦ and thatā€™s with only 2 choices! Make sure youā€™re dedicating lines to background charactersā€™ actions and also making sure that your conversations are natural and donā€™t feel rushed. Naturally, people beat around the bush quite a bit, so it always feels really weird and stilted when a conversation does everything you want it to do in 3 lines.

Conversations lead from one thing to another quite naturally (I recommend taking note of all the different things you talk about in a conversation to get you from topic A to topic Z as a little writing exercise), so itā€™s much better to make them last a little longer.

2 Likes

Iā€™m more than happy to give feedback/my opinion lol.

Hmmā€¦ if itā€™s a short prologue and youā€™re happy with it, maybe you could then have the intro/title screens come in after that and then officially start the first episode? That way you can still separate your introduction from your first real episode, but it will be much longer. (I hope that makes sense lol.)

1 Like

My guideline for a good first chapter is something like this

1. Prologue
  2. Cut to present
  3. Present-day normal conversations to set up friends, family members and a sense of normality. We want to know whatā€™s normal to the MC without you forcing it down our throats, so show the MC going to work or school. Show them doing the things they love.
  4. A little character development
  5. Bring a plot twist at the end. Make sure that by the end of Chapter One, the reader is already introduced to some sort of conflict, even if itā€™s a small one. Cliffhangers will keep your readers hooked!
7 Likes

Thank you all so much for your help! :blush::blue_heart: I think Iā€™ll try putting the first three chapters and see how that works. They basically cover everything you just mentioned in three different sections @ShanniiWrites. Seriously, though, you guys have really helped. :grin: Of course, I now have two more chapters before I could even consider publishing :flushed::weary::sob: But itā€™s better than having no one even read it.:grin:

2 Likes

If you need help with the second chapter, Iā€™d say have the MC tackle the conflict you set up in Chapter 1. I donā€™t think they should solve it even by the end of the second chapter, but in the first chapter, all youā€™ve done is set up what the conflict is. The second chapter could be dedicated to how the conflict affects the MC! Thatā€™s super interesting and gives us way more characterisation than most other things would.

1 Like

After combining them, I am now at 1393 lines :exploding_head: :laughing: Again, thanks :blush::blue_heart::blue_heart:

2 Likes

OMG itā€™s so much better!!! I like it a lot better all together. Iā€™ll probably make a few more cosmetic changes and stuff, but oh my gosh itā€™s a lot better :grin::grin::blue_heart::blue_heart:

Thank you @ShanniiWrites
Thank you @EliseC

You both were big helps!! :blue_heart::blue_heart::blush:

2 Likes

Yay! Iā€™m glad to hear that itā€™s coming together :smiley:
Itā€™s definitely worth spending more time on your story to make sure itā€™s something you can be proud of :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™m glad you like it! Keep me in the loop when it comes out! :smiley:

1 Like