I Want to Give Up

I want to cry. Everything I write, I eventually dislike or lose inspiration and scrap it. This account may be fairly new, but I have been reading episode since it’s launch, and have attempted to write stories for almost 3 years, now. 3 years of creating, only to never publish and I’m starting to give up on myself. I am a very creative person and have expressed my creativity through many outlets, but episode is one outlet I really, completely, love.

Even now, I have been working on my current characters for over one year. Trying them out in different story plots and finding the perfect fit, but I feel like nothing is working anymore. I have two episodes and I worked so hard on them but all I want to do is scrap it again. The thing stopping me from scrapping the project entirely is the characters. I’ve been with them, internally, for over a year so I really will be heartbroken if they never come to life in a story. I want to share my main characters with all of you so bad, and they mean too much to me to scrap. Its like, I want to scrap my plots, not my characters. - there are two that mean too much to scrap.

How do other authors do it? I see others publish several stories and I think - how? Has anyone else had this problem? I am so frustrated. :frowning: and I have no one to talk to (no friends in this community.)

7 Likes

I understand how you feel. I uploaded one story I’ve written over a year ago and it’s just now gotten 100 reads. It took a whole year just to get that. And to me it’s a little discouraging to me because I worked really hard and invested in a lot of time in the story and the characters and I too wanted to scrap the story. But as was told to me, if you love your story or characters that much continue on with your ideas. Even though I have few reads on my story I’m currently working on my second story because I have so much I want to share to regardless of who reads.

4 Likes

The problem with me is, I do write for myself, but I always end up disliking what I write and losing inspiration. :frowning:

I know how you feel. I started on one story, only to start on another - which is published.

Don’t think because you have a story idea, you go straight into writing - wait! Brainstorm, brainstorm and brainstorm.

4 Likes

You probably should brainstorm, as Januva mentioned. Write out your ideas and find the one you like the most and willing to work with.

1 Like

I’ve always thought that the plot itself is just a secondary thing because to me it’s the characters that bring the story to life. If you have been working on them for over a year, they must be pretty well-developped now, all you need to do is to start writing dialogues and the ideas will start flowing at some point. Of course I can’t guarantee it works for everyone, but this is how I started writing all of my stories and I have 4 now, so it definitely worked for me. At the beginning I never really have a plot idea, I just make my characters talk with each other and go with the flow.
Also, if you have 2 episodes already written, I would suggest you to share it with someone, anyone, either from here or someone you know personally. Sometimes an objective eye can help you spot out the strenghts and weaknesses of your writing and they may also give you some simple idea that actually opens a whole new perspective you didn’t even think of before.

4 Likes

I’ve done this so many times as well but instead of coding a story when you think of it, you need to plan exactly what happens in detail and write it down somewhere before.

1 Like

I feel like the thing that is making me dislike the story is the fact that it’s partly supernatural. When I came up with the idea for the plot, I really enjoyed the idea, but that was a long time ago, so I feel like I grew out of it. But I still ended up giving it a try and writing two episodes, but I just don’t think that’s what I want to do anymore. I’m not sure that letting someone read it will change my mind, but I’ll still share it with some people who are willing to read it and give me feedback. Thank you <3.

1 Like

I’ve been planning and expanding for a very long time, it’s just I always end up scrapping everything even though I have put endless amounts of hours into my work. :frowning:

This is what makes you dislike it? :open_mouth:
Supernatural stories are one of my favourites! You know I never do this, but since I love the theme and you probably have well worked out characters, if you needed someone to review it, I would gladly check it out.

4 Likes

Ah I’d really appreciate that. I really am not sure what I’m doing anymore (and the chapters I have still have some directing and dialogue etc that need to be changed and perfected) but maybe having someone read it would change my mind. (There is also 2 scenes I wrote in chapter 3. You can read them & I guess I’m kinda of proud of them.) I can send you the link?

2 Likes

Sure, you can send it by PM if you prefer that. I have to add that I can’t help much with grammar because English is my second language, and I’m not good at directing either, but I can offer you some honest thoughts if you are interested in that :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

that’s totally okay! It’s enough for me to just have someone to read it and let me know their thoughts on the characters/plot/if it’s good/what they think will happen. I’ll PM it.

2 Likes

Has written stories with amazing English skills :sunglasses:

Directing is super amazing :sunglasses:

You are too modest, your skills are awesome :joy:

Also, to the OP, don’t give up!

3 Likes

Bahaha, thanks I died :joy:

2 Likes

It is true though, your directing is beautiful :wink:

2 Likes

Hey, I just want to let you know @Annieways is being overly modest. You’re really lucky to have her as a beta reader, trust me :slightly_smiling_face: However, if she really can’t help you with your grammar, there are plenty of others who will be happy to help, me being one of them.

Also, in reference to your first post, I’d like to offer a few tips…
Since you mentioned that you’ve started a few stories with them, but always scrap the plot, I’d suggest to try and write a short story. Maybe something that’s 3-5 episodes, so you can complete it before you lose inspiration? I think short stories are underrated on the app - they tend to be more rounded than 40+ episode stories. Then, if you find that short stories works for you, you could end up making a series out of it by using the same characters in different story lines. This would be a good idea since you love the characters so much. You just need to find what works for you, so don’t be afraid to try something out of the box! :grinning:

And also, for this…

They’re crazy… or robots… or aliens…
I know it’s hard, but try not to read other stories and compare yourself to the authors. Use their stories to get inspiration on directing ideas or outfit combinations instead :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Damn, I’ve written Episode for about three years too. I remember my first account with five stories…and they were shit. So, I literally left that behind and made another acc. I wrote three stories so far, but to be honest, now I see what I need to improve but there’s too much, you know? So I definitely get how you feel, I’ve worked on them for about a year (maybe year and a half?) and yet I just feel like I can’t anymore.

But you know what? Don’t give up! You said you’re a creative person, so my recommendation is to organize before you write. Write the whole outlet before writing the script, that’s what I do now so I wouldn’t have many mistakes. Make your characters meaningful, make them have their own story, their own emotions and thought. Both of those things will help you move along for your Episode story.

Don’t tell yourself that just because you spent three years writing that you should automatically give up. I have written for three years too, and I improved drastically after practice and my own tips. You should try them out too, who knows? It might just work! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Thank you soooo much <3

1 Like

Thank you so so so much! I can say that the stories I have written now are 1000 times better than my first ones, which motivates me.