I Want to Give Up

I know right? xd

Ugh I cannot deal with myself. I just reread the chapters I completed, and I’m really proud of it but at the same time I want to write something else? I feel like I can never finish any projects I start and it is killing me. I always abandon everything I do. (Including editing accounts I had in the past).

1 Like

Hi @lilahauthor please calm down firstly, think of how much you love writing and this is your hobby, please don’t feel obligated to create something if it makes you anxious. :two_hearts::two_hearts:

If you don’t like things you come up with, that’s okay. But keep in mind that people who read your story will like it even if you think they won’t. :blush:

Think of the genre you like reading/watching more. When creating content, I always make things I would want to see from others. If I want to see more things like Suicide Squad, (DC movie) I’ll write one on Episode. This certainly helped me with finding what I’m good at writing and what I enjoy the most.

I definitely don’t want to get rid of my characters as well, in fact, I just took an old discontinued story’s MC and made it the MC of a new story. That’s completely fine, but don’t keep them in the store too much, if they mean something important to you, they at least have the right to let others know of their existence. Right? :wink:

I can’t answer how people publish a lot of stories as it’s about motivation, I can’t code without getting bored if you are talking story wise, please try living your story. Think what you would do if you were them and were living in their universe. Fangirl about your story or fanboy about it… That’s what helped me :joy:

I’d happily be your friend and even read your story before publishing if you do feel bad about it, I can certainly help with a few things areas like psychology or coding on Episode, so feel free to PM me if you need any help. Good luck on your story! :heart:

3 Likes

you do not understand how much your reply means to me. first of all thank you so much for the advice <333, second of all, id really love to be your friend and talk to you. we could even help each other with writing advice, etc. idk if you have insta but if you do, my username is lilah.author. If not we can talk on here.

2 Likes

I’m glad I could help you a bit, that makes me happy. :blush:

I don’t necessarily use instagram, I visit monthly lol. We could always talk here. :hugs:

2 Likes

Hey there!

I can’t claim to know exactly what you’re feeling or experiencing, but I’m in a similar position and I know for me, a big issue is the emotional burnout. It’s genuinely very tiring to create and create and not receive the validation of having someone see and love your work (or your characters). Not having that balance really messes with you.

My advice would be: Try not to beat yourself up. Allow yourself to take a break from writing if it would be good for your mental health. Writing is patient, and will always wait for you. Keep the characters you love in your pocket, because they mean something to you. Be kind to yourself.

You can take this or leave it (you would know yourself better than I do), but maybe it would help to look for people to gush over your characters with you. That’s something that’s really keeping me going since I don’t currently have any published works. It might help make up for the validation you’re not getting. Maybe you could make a thread for people to talk about their characters and see how it goes.

:revolving_hearts:

6 Likes

thank you so so so much. <3

1 Like

I totally understand how you’re feeling. I’ve never published a story either nor have I finished one. And I’ve been on the app since 2014 lol (Well I was inactive for a long while too). I’ve got tons of ideas flowing in my head but once I get bored with one I move right onto another and another. This time though, I feel like my story has taken on a life of it’s own and I want to finish it.

Try and motivate yourself the best you can because I bet once we finish 1 story, we’ll be able to go back and finish them all lol.

Also, try working with a writing partner. If you’re by yourself it’s always easy to convince yourself to give up (I do it all the time). But, if you’re working with someone else then you’ll realize you’re not alone in this and you might end up publishing a story together!

2 Likes

oh my god that is exactly how I feel! I’ve had so many ideas but I always get bored and want to move on. It’s so conflicting because i really want to write a story but how am I supposed to when I’m doing that?! I have faith that we will both publish stories one :weary:, we better. Thank you :).

1 Like

If you ever want to talk to me, you can pm me anytime lol. When you publish your first story let me know lol. I definitely want to read it! :wink:

1 Like

ofc I will! Thank you so much girly!

1 Like

The good thing is that you’re not alone. I can’t think of a single good writer who likes their own stuff. It’s good that you’re critical of your work!

Don’t let that cripple you, though. Leave most of the judging to the readers. Just bite the bullet and publish because it’s a lot easier to hide a story than you’d think. That’s it you ever do hate it! Sometimes you publish something you dislike and it gets a really good response. That’s a great way to build up your confidence.

Plus, if you publish, you’ll get some lovely feedback mixed in with the “when’s the next chapter” stuff that will help you to improve. No one’s story has to be perfect. Publish early and edit later if you have to!

2 Likes

Thank you sm :). I actually shared my story with the first person ever yesterday and although I was really planning on scrapping it, after gettin feedback it inspired me so much that I’ve decided to keep working and publish next month. I’ve realized, from all of these comments/advice, that I need to stop being so critical of myself and just publish bc being left alone with my story leads me to nitpick everything.

4 Likes

That’s great to hear! So nice to see you were able to feel inspired again. :sunflower:

2 Likes

I feel you. T_T I’ve been a fan of Episode since launch as well and have always wanted to write a story. Unfortunately, I have issues with the coding aspects so mine never come to light, but I always seem to come up with new ideas. sigh

1 Like

Never give up! :four_leaf_clover: