If I was a Popular Author

Oh, okay. I couldn’t imagine receiving over 1,000 DM’s because I’m not a popular author yet. I don’t know it feels to receive a lot of DM’s and tags, but when I get to that point, I’ll try to go out of my way to contact my readers and supporters. Even if I’m unable to respond back to everyone, I’ll try to.

1 Like

I like your ideas.

2 Likes

Yes! I’m with you 100% on this because I feel like some popular authors “ignore” small or new authors rather than helping them. I don’t think some of them intend on ignoring them; some of them just don’t have the time to help them out. I understand that. I still feel like they should take the time out and have a day dedicated to reading small and new authors’ stories (hidden gems).

1 Like

I agree.

1 Like

If I was a popular author, I would still do what I always do and not really change much. There’s not really much to Episode “fame” that it should change the way anybody acts.

With all due respect, and I can NOT stress this enough, bigger authors do NOT owe anything to small authors. They do not need to dedicate a day to read small stories. They do not need to dedicate a day to go through all their DMs and fanmail. They do not need to dedicate a day to anybody or anything. They’re people, not machines. When you get thousands of messages and requests, it is hard to keep up with. I agree that we as authors should all come together and try to support smaller authors with well written stories and help them gain visibility Bc it’s hard out here, but I really wish this attitude that popular authors owe it to small authors to promote their stories and basically be responsible for their success would stop. And I’m sorry, this needs to be said and it’s not an attack on anybody- this is just the truth. People in here can’t be constantly putting popular authors down, trashing their stories, and gossiping about them and their intentions while running on IG and sucking up to them in their DMs in hopes they’ll get shout outs or have their story promoted. Nobody is here to be used, and people can see straight through that. To be clear, I’m not throwing shade at any one specific person. I’m saying what I’m seeing in general. Folks will be saying one thing in the forums and acting a whole other way on IG. Newsflash: some “popular” authors check the forums and can see y’all. And please don’t see this as an attack. I’m speaking candidly and truthfully about some things I’ve been seeing and I’m always going to keep it real even if it makes folks mad :woman_shrugging:t4:

23 Likes

You are absolutely right, and I understand where you are coming from. Popular authors don’t owe anything to small authors; it’s reality. It sucks, but I do think things can change. No popular author is obligated to go through and respond back to their DM’s, recognize small others or hidden gems, per say, and many more. They don’t have to do anything of that nature, and I respect that.

2 Likes

What would you like to change?

2 Likes

If I was a popular author…
I’d write a super romantic and lovely story and get everyone to love my characters just to go full George R.R. Martin style and kill them all off in the last chapter and break all these innocent readers’ hearts :blush:

15 Likes

OMG why is this my favourite post in this thread

2 Likes

I’d just have more fun with more people. Hopefully, they’d be guessing the endings of my stories and theorizing, etc. I won’t give into pressure to write quickly and I won’t do alot of CC so I’m sure I’ll get in trouble with people because I’ll shut that down real quick :innocent:

2 Likes

It would be nice to see the whole Episode community change to how they were 3 years ago, but you and I both know that will not happen.

But change how?

I don’t really know yet.

Haha you can’t really expect episode to change if you don’t even know what you want it to change. What exactly do you think is wrong with Episode right now?

I mean, I have my issues with Episode, but I can name them

5 Likes

You’re asking a very good question :thinking: I do have an issue with some things in the Episode community as a whole. It’s not so much of the Episode platform having their hands in everything that an author does (to be honest), but I notice the littlest things. I don’t wanna go off topic, so I won’t go into detail. However, if you’d like we could probably discuss this matter through PM.

I do notice that there are cliques within the community. Meaning, every author is pretty much separated from each other so to speak. Yes, authors have their friends whom they associate and support; there’s nothing wrong with that, and I don’t criticize them for being social in those aspects. I have mixed feelings going on in my head, and it’s hard to explain them.

I just feel like you often bring up “issues” and how you wish Episode would change and then never say anything for us to understand what you mean.

I mean, the part that I quoted made it seem like you think it sucks that big authors have the freedom to promote who they want and that you think things should change and they should be forced to promote others.

I for one am ok with the way things are now in terms of promotion. Sure, there are some big authors who do things I really disagree with, but if I was a big author, it would be true because I worked hard, was talented and got lucky. All three of those things. And I would be very angry and upset if I was bullied into giving my life and freedom for entitled smaller authors

9 Likes

In my opinion, the people who promote smaller authors are awesome people and Episode should be the pioneer of promoting smaller authors. Hidden gems cost them a lot less than buying licenses for Pretty Little Liars or Mean Girls.

4 Likes

I understand what you’re saying. I don’t want to make it seem like popular authors are obligated to promote small authors, but I do think it’s a kind gesture :disappointed: If they feel in their hearts to promote small and new authors, then they are free to do it.

But it isn’t a kind gesture if you’re complaining when people don’t do it. It’s also not just a kind gesture if you expect it. It’s a social expectation.

And kind gestures aren’t the solution to every problem.

For example, me giving money to a homeless person is a kind gesture. And many, many homeless people out there don’t deserve to be homeless. But that doesn’t change the fact that giving money to homeless people every now and then isn’t going to fix homelessness.

The same is true with small authors on Episode. Promoting a small author or two as a big author isn’t going to change the fact that it’s really difficult to make your name on the platform. It’s not going to fix anything. I feel like constantly saying big authors need to promote small authors is blaming big authors for a problem they didn’t make.

9 Likes

Ok, I don’t mean to complain, but I’m just bothered by it.