If You Half-Ass a Story, Can It Still Come Out Well?

Yeah, you’re right. I’ve noticed that a lot of authors’ first language isn’t English and although they do a pretty good job and continuously improve their grammar; some people who don’t know them may think that they’re not trying and criticize them yet they’re putting in twice the amount of effort into their stories. It’s a vicious cycle, and I definitely admire people whose first language isn’t English yet are determined to make their story’s grammar the best as possible.

2 Likes

I was more thinking on a directing or plot building level.
There are some highly successful authors with multiple featured stories who, in my opinion, write and direct on a novice level. Are they half-assing it compared to other successful authors with superb directing and writing? Maybe, maybe not. They might be doing their best. Or, they might just be writing something quick and easy with the well known tropes and plots that bring in an audience with little effort.

2 Likes

Ermm … that’s kind of how “popularity” works though.

2 Likes

I so want to agree with you here but in reality that’s not the case. It would be nice if popular authors - knowing that people will read whatever they publish - tried to write something that would stand out and that would maybe raise the trending section to a higher level. Some authors do this and try to deliver positive messages, but I usually appreciate every story that is not doing any harm if that makes sense. Then there are other authors who just go with the flow, produce the same crap over and over again and promote unhealthy relationships because they know that’s what sells :woman_shrugging:

No, I don’t think but I know that most of the readers would. I could actually mention a few authors who made me pretty disappointed with a newly published story because I thought their writing style was unique and then they came up with something I’ve already seen millions of times and I probably never wanted to see it
I’ve also read some trending stories in which not only the content but the directing was pretty awful too. I would like to assume this happens when authors get popular with their very first stories, and once they get better they will make an effort at least with the directing and maybe go back to fix the first stories/episodes.

2 Likes

I understand that, but there is some amazing stories out there that NEVER get noticed enough

1 Like

I don’t think having similar plots to something that’s already out there is necessarily half-assed. If we’re honest, there’s no way we can make a completely original story. Not anymore. There are too many billion stories out there for ours to not be very similar to something else

2 Likes

Although saying that, I’m writing for a different app at the moment. The story I write on here (although it started quite badly because I had no clue how to code) is quite good, if I may say so myself. The one on the other app I write for is half-assed and people love it. I think it’s because people love cliches and I spend too much of my time fretting over making my original story good to actually produce anything people like.

When I half ass it, I actually get content out at a reasonable time. That definitely helps

2 Likes

You should start a thread and promote them :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I did

I even started an account but I was bullied for only helping smaller authors

I recall your Instagram. Though, forgive me but I think it would be incorrect to say that you were “bullied for only helping small authors”.

I don’t want to get into it again, though.

2 Likes

I know

I was get DM and PMs that was contast bullying and harassment though

Moved to Episode Fan Community since General Chat is for non-Episode topics. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about where to correctly create topics, and feel to PM me if there are any questions. :wink:

1 Like

I know, I’m not trying to say that whether or not the directing or presentation is good or bad determines whether or not the person is trying, I’m just saying half-assing half-assing like truly. I’m not calling anyone out or anything, people with those stories may be working their butt off, I’m just saying that if they an author knows that they’re truly half-assing their story, could the product still be good? It’s more of a hypothetical thing as opposed to saying “Oh, the author isn’t trying if they do yada yada yada.” I was curious on how successful you thought someone half-assing could be not saying anyone should do anything or couldn’t do anything. Just to clarify and I agree with your points.

You’re right. I think people should use popularity to give meaningful messages to the public, but that’s not the case for most people. I honestly also agree with you on the point that most readers do appreciate seeing the author publishing more stories, but some readers may not. I love to read your thoughts, cause you’re wise, Annie.

I know this, but one can use different kinds of characters, different kinds of backstories, different diction, different voices, different points of view. The possibilities are endless with creativity in place and I’m not saying that not everything has been done, but why settle with the same thing over and over (speaking of things like sequels sometimes) when you can add something to it? Just my opinion. Again, I realize that everyone writes what they want and how they want to, and there are billions of stories out there.

Oof, chills pills! Chill pills! GET YOUR CHILL PILLS! Try to stay on topic…?

3 Likes

Good? No. Successful? Yes :smile:

2 Likes

Agreed. Chill pill ingested <3.

2 Likes

Delicious

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.