If you're Hindu, please help me?!

So, in my story my main character, Kalinda, is Hindu. I have a few questions which I’ve tried Googling but I’d also like to get some feedback from you guys!

• Are Hindus allowed to dye their hair? Kalinda has super-powers so I’ve made her hair light pink for now, but if that’s against Hindu beliefs I can change it! (I’ve seen a few articles but they were mainly focused on Indian Hindus dying their hair red)
  • Are there any strict rules that Kalinda should follow? I think she’d be a mediumly-religious person, so she wouldn’t abide by all rules of the religion but would definitely be sure not to break important rules (if there even is any)
  • What sort of clothing do Hindus wear? Do they wear anything? Or do they wear conservative clothing like Muslims? Maybe they wear loose dresses?
  • Which countries have a decent amount of Hindus? Sure there’d be quite a few in the UK/USA, but I mean other countries. A lot of the time when I’ve read about Hindus India has been mentioned a lot, but are there any others?

Okay I think that’s it for now. Thank you!

6 Likes

As a proud South Indian, I’m here to help!

• I don’t believe there’s any rule about dying hair.
  • I don’t do this, but I have a few Hindu friends that fast on Monday’s. Most Hindus also pray in the mornings by shrines. Usually fresh flowers or fruit are placed by shrines as a offering. Hindus don’t tend to eat beef or any other cow meat. Pork is allowed, but most don’t eat it by choice. Other meats are completely fine. Vegetarianism isn’t required as most people believe.
  • Most older woman, like my grandmother, for example wear exclusively sarees all the time. These sarees are usually lightweight cotton ones. As for me and my mother, we only wear decorative sarees, lehanga cholis, or other lehangas for holidays, special prayers, or parties with other Hindu friends. Episode pretty much only has those two full sarees in INK so I guess that’s the entirety of your options. Everyday prayers don’t require special clothes. They real just dress freely. Of course, Hindu families tend to be conservative by choice so I’m definetly not allowed to go around in crop tops and mini skirts.
  • They originate from India, but there are high Hindu populations in Nepal and Pakistan. Many Hindus live in Britain and European countries.

Please note the difference between Hindu and Hindi

Hinduism is a religion. Hindus follow this religion.
Hindi is a language.
It’s so frustrating when they’re mixed up.

Would you like me to explain any of the beliefs on Hindus?
I really appreciate you taking the time to learn how to represent us correctly! Often, we get stuck with stereotypes and misrepresented.
:star2:

10 Likes

I’m a Hindu Brahmin from India. I can assure you that you don’t need to worry about all your questions as we are allowed to do everything except eating Beef (cow meat).
There’s no dress code for Hindu people in particular, but kurta, pyjamas for men & Sari is for women in Hindu culture.
Hindus are religious people but there is no such strict rule for Hindus at this 21st era that you should feel worried about. Go ahead with your character & story but if possible make Kalinda visit a temple or worship any Hindu God/Goddess. Prayers are also helpful for the character but don’t make him superstitious as we Hindus have unlimited superstitions.
Best of Luck and Yes, You should trust me blindly as I’m a Hindu Brahmin, the highest rank of Hinduism. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

As someone who grew up Hindu in a western country I would say that Hinduism isn’t very strict about about clothing and dying your hair at all, but it depends on your family.If possible maybe just indicate that your character is vegetarian//doesn’t eat beef?

I am an Hindu Brahmin as well from INDIA
You don’t have to worry about any of these questions above but here are some answers-

There aren’t anything about dying your hairs in India.

There aren’t any strict rules regarding Hindu culture but every Hindu is restricted from eating Cow meat (Beef)
As we Hindus think and treat a COW as some sort of God or something like that
And some Hindus that belong to upper classes (LIKE ME) aren’t allowed to eat meat , omlete and even any thing that contains them

Mostly older Hindu women wear sarees like my mother and my grandma
But younger people can wear clothes like pants, jeans, shirts and all But aren’t allowed to wear revealing clothes (like mini-skirts and all)

Hindus originate from India but they can be found in Nepal , Pakistan, Britain etc…
My brother even lives in U.S

I don’t know about other families but that’s how I live my life so anyone with a different point of view don’t get opposed by it

And I hope this helps you @amelianelson

1. Try to keep bindi (red dot ).

2.Saree is the safest option, but you can let her wear a long top and pyjamas.
You can let her wear any clothing as long it has covered all her body (like nice top and jeans ).

1. You can keep her hair light pink ,generally we use henna as conditioner so some of our hair is has red highlights.

4.India, Nepal has highest concentration, and Hindus are like everywhere in the world.

PS - kalinda is very unique name for a Hindu, I have never heard yet now. If you really want her to blend in culture I would suggest using names like Priya , Parvati,padma etc (as used in Harry Potter) . Even Priyanka , Aishwarya or Deepika :stuck_out_tongue:.

1 Like

Isn’t a unique name good though?

1 Like

Generally, Hindu names ( namakaranam) are very meaningful (atleast in older generations).

Ex- Abhigna means knowledge . Priya means lovely etc.

I think it’s important to direct someone who would want to take directions Regarding the culture. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Maybe you are right but isn’t it upto the author what name did she wants to keep for her character
Sorry if I sounded rude but I was just stating my opinion on that

1 Like

Of course, I respect your opinion.
Since, she doesn’t know much about hinduism I mentioned it.

1 Like

I’m also from a Brahmin Hindu family and I feel like I need to point something out that a lot of people have failed to mention:

Hinduism is a very regional religion in India, as in that you’ll find that it’s practiced very differently in different regions and different families. Specific parts of India are more likely to follow specific gods as their kind of “patron” - as in the most prominent god in their eyes.

For example, there are people who particularly worship Kali, Ganesh or Brahma, but in my family, Krishna is the most important god that my family members worship the most.

Stories about the Gods also vary slightly depending on where you come from in India and there are hundreds of religious texts throughout the country, which partly explains the big differences between followers of the faith throughout.

A lot of Hindus, especially those of the higher castes, are vegetarian and they don’t drink alcohol in my state in particular. However, this is not always the case. Patel is a very common surname, and many people who are Patels will eat chicken or meat in general - it really depends on the family, the region and how they specifically deal with their religion.

Be careful with the surnames Khan and Singh - whilst they are very common in India, they are usually members of Islam and Sikhism respectively.

My family don’t really fast that often, but they burn incense in the house every morning and abstain from cooked or artificial foods during Navratri - Krishna’s birthday.

There isn’t really one single codified text of Hinduism like there is for Christianity, Judaism or Islam, so that explains a lot of the variation. I would argue that the Bhagvad Gita is the most prominent, but that could be because we worship Krishna in particular and that’s his book.

Yes, it is illegal to harm or kill a cow in certain parts of India, but I wouldn’t say that they’re kept like Gods. It’s more that Krishna loved them and they’re respected and revered - not quite to the same standard as a God, but definitely special treatment. They are still like vermin when you actually go to India though! They’re everywhere!

In the northern parts of India (Mumbai etc), you’ll find that most of the younger generations (below 40) only really wear sarees or other Indian outfits during special occasions. Most of the time they just wear jeans and a top. Modesty is definitely your best bet, though. The most you’ll see in India is an Indian girl with her belly showing - never legs! Longer hairstyles make more sense. Long hair is seen as a virtue on girls. Not quite as long as devout Sikhs, but at least shoulder length.

If she’s in a western country, I don’t think you need to wear a bindi either. A lot of younger Indians even in India don’t on a daily basis (especially in the north). Plus, Indians have been known to integrate very well into society!

Yes, most Hindus are Indian, but I believe that the Hare Krishna sect in particular is getting more and more popular among English people in the UK. Most are still Indian.

A good call would probably be her being part of an Indian dancing class - like Barathnatiam (I don’t know how to spell it in the English alphabet) and also wearing earrings! These should definitely be gold. It’s much more prominent in India than silver and so a lot of Indians - even western ones - stick to gold jewellery.

With regards to dyeing hair, it’s actually very common in India. In the old days, people would put mendhi in their hair to make it more brown. Now a LOT of people dye their hair to cover up greying. I think the older generations would definitely tut and sigh if your character had an audacious colour like purple, though. One of my friends has one blue streak and one purple and some of the older women really look at her weirdly.

Interesting fact: I’ve never met an Indian who can’t do eyebrow threading - myself included!

I hope this has helped. :grin:

5 Likes

I feel like this in particular is a very regional Hindu practice.

I’m not Hindu, but it’s lovely to see such diversity in stories now! I find different cultures so interesting and would love to read into it, I’ll look at your story!

1 Like

@ShanniiWrites hey girl I don’t want to sound rude but as far as I know Krishna’s birthday is not Navratri it’s Gokulashtami. And also Navratri celebrates 9 Indian Goddess. (just correcting the facts)
BTW loved your explanation!

1 Like

Of course! Silly me! Wrote that explanation on my break - obviously wasn’t thinking.

So many festivals, it’s hard to keep track :rofl:

Your explanation is very in-depth and I guess It’ll help the other surely. Hinduism has so many varieties and there are so many Hindu casts and even there are so many different rules even in the different types of Brahmin families, it’s really difficult to say anything in particular about Hinduism. Like Hindu Bengalis and non-Bengalis are totally different. It won’t be wise if nobody says anything about Maa Durga whom we Bengali Hindu Brahmins worship like our own mother. And to be precise, Bramha, Bishnu & Maheshwar are the main Gods of Hinduism. In Hinduism, it is believed that Lord Brahma had created this world and…seriously there are so many things to talk about Hinduism that it’s obvious to make anyone confused about Hindus and Hinduism who aren’t Hindu.

So, my suggestion to the author is that kindly be just specific and ask just the to-the-point questions that the author really requires to know about his story. But the way you tried to cover all of the author’s query with your answers that’s really Impressive!
Good effort, Appreciated!

Regards,
Ani Ray

3 Likes

Topic closed due to one month of inactivity.