First chapters are super important! They’re the ‘pilot’ - the chapter where you’re supposed to capture the audience. People are much happier to read that chapter because it’s pass-free and then choose if they want to continue reading your story if it grabs their attention. It’s kinda like a free sample in an ice cream shop! That’s why it is essential to make sure that you get the first chapter spot on!
What I’m offering:
- Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar (SPaG) notes.
- Some basic direction notes.
- Feedback on if the dialogue sounds interesting, natural and useful.
- Feedback on if the first chapter grabs my attention
- An honest opinion of the plot (based on your summary), what I liked about it and what I think needs work.
- Information on whether I think you’re meeting diversity standards, if you’re sensitively representing minorities and how I believe you can improve. This one is a little harder for me. I have experience with ethnic minority representation, religious representation and representation of homosexuality (or bisexuality), but I am not an expert in transgender representation, so I can only say the basic things here.
- General notes on what I think worked and didn’t work.
*It is important to note that I will be working on the premise that I like most of your story. You will be getting more criticisms than good points because I want to help you improve. I will tell you what I loved, but I will spend a lot of time telling you what I think you could improve on. I hope this doesn’t make you feel put out!
If you want me to have a look at your first chapter, please do the following things:
- Give me the name of the story.
- Provide a summary of the plot of the story as a whole. This can be as long or as short as you would like it to be. The more detailed this is, the better I can tell you whether I think if it worked and gave the correct impression from Chapter One.
- Optional: one or two sentences on what you think worked and didn’t in your story. If you have a few things you know don’t work and want info on how to improve them, I can help.
- A link to the story.
- Tell me what you would like me to focus on out of the list of things I can do. If there isn’t something in particular, I’ll do all of them. Also, tell me if there’s something you don’t want me to talk about.
I look forward to working with you!