I'm so sick of "Gang" and "Mafia" Stories!

Yeah I am so over them!

4 Likes

It’s not that I have a problem with mafia-stories itself, but the annoying bad boy drama makes me not want to finish (or with doubts to finish at least)! :woman_facepalming:
(Yes, there I ago again, sorry!)

I don’t think the gangs and mafia stories are a problem. The problem is the way they are represented. Like any other thing, it is one of the subjects that the story is made on. Except, it is represented by authors in a way that it’s glorified. The real gang business is so mortifying but none of that seriousness is depicted in these stories which is why we can’t appreciate it.

If an author represents the subject properly, even gangs and mafia stores can be made a lot interesting.

5 Likes

Well said.

1 Like

Thank you. :smiley:

1 Like

You’re welcome! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Exactly! They are absolutely misrepresented. In real life, there is nothing appealing about Mafia lifestyle, and it bugs me that so many authors glorifies them.
I think that everyone who thinks about writing a gang/mafia story, should read a little bit about Salvatore Riina.
Gang leaders are far away from handsome boys in leather jackets, they are actually psychotic monsters…

4 Likes

Even then, if an author wishes, they can make the love interest a gang leader but it needs to have some level of reality in it so at least we’d know not all this is a joke.

4 Likes

I totally agree, that’s exactly what I’m trying to do in my story. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

You’re writing a story on gangs? Me too!

2 Likes

Oh, great! Tell me your nickname on Episode, so I can find you. :smiley:

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, the only good “gang” story I’ve seen is Venomous by Hannah D. I think part of it (not just the plot, which is genuinely strong and well-written) is because the protagonist Maria is a cop who’s actively investigating the “gang” in question (called a cartel in the story). She’s not some generic weak, whiny teenage girl self-insert like every other gang story “heroine”; she’s a proactive adult who knows what she’s doing and that makes her interesting to read about. Her cartel heir love interest isn’t made out to be perfect, either, and clearly has flaws, but is never outright abusive to her.

Basically, I think the first problem that could be addressed easily with gang/mafia stories and their ilk is: make the heroine an actual character. Give her a good reason to be involved with the gang/mafia that actually does something for her personality, such as drawing from Venomous’s example of making her a cop infiltrating the gang, instead of making her yet another boring kidnapping victim or a gang member’s daughter/sister/wife/niece/second cousin once removed. Obviously, there are lots of other problems that should be addressed too, but making the heroine a likable and fleshed-out character is a strong start.

And also, something else regarding Venomous (spoiler alert):

When Maria’s captured by one of the villains, it’s rightfully portrayed as a bad thing and she’s tortured and nearly killed during the ordeal. Unlike basically every other gang story premise, her kidnapping isn’t romanticized in any way and is shown to be the dangerous situation it actually is. She never falls in love with or sympathizes with her captor, and that alone puts Venomous heads above tons of other “gang” stories.

5 Likes

Oh, darn it, I just realized, my plot is a little bit similar to this.
But I’ll sure read Venomous now, it sounds interesting and the most important, realistic.
Thanks for explanation!

1 Like

I don’t mind a gang story if it is portrayed realistically. But this applies to any kind of plot.
The main problem is that a lot of authors write about things they know almost nothing about.

2 Likes

Sorry about the drama we had in the past but I Defo agree with her and you :joy::joy:

1 Like

Omg yesss I HATE HATE HATE HATE those

That does sound i interesting

2 Likes

If you, by any chance read it, I hope you’ll like it. :blush:

I hopefully will if I find time!

1 Like

just don’t read it…