Improve your writing skills here!

a single note

It was the middle of the night and I was in the bedroom, trying to relax. There was a storm outside, but nothing could compare to the storm within me. Get out of there now. There’s a murderer in the house. That’s what the note had said. Immediately I had seen it, I had thrown it away. And now I couldn’t even concentrate on anything. I was just about to fall into an uneasy sleep when I was awakened by a strange noise downstairs. It sounded like there was someone in the house. At that moment, my heart started beating faster then it ever had, and I broke into a cold sweat that soon began to drench my clothes. Straining my ears to listen, I thought I heard another noise. It was the sound of a door creaking.

It wasn’t my imagination. There was someone in the house.

“I have to get out of here, fast!” I thought.

I slipped off the bed as quietly as possible and crept towards the window. My body was shaking with fear and I was hoping I didn’t make any noise. My head was still pounding, and I couldn’t focus on anywthing. Just then, I heard faint footsteps making their way up the stairs. It sounded like more than one person. At any second, they would burst through the door. I had to get away. And I had to get away now. I climbed out the window and onto the garage roof, moving as fast as I could without making too much noise. At the edge of the roof, I grabbed the drainpipe and lowered myself down until I dropped into the garden. As I paused, I looked up at the window I had just escaped from and saw the lights go on.

“That was close!” I thought.

A chill ran down my spine as I thought about what would have happened if they caught me. I made my way to the bottom of the garden and into the woods. Once I was safely hidden by the trees, I broke into a run. I pushed onwards, stumbling through the darkness, moving through the undergrowth, until I came to another housing estate. Clutching my bloodied knife, I headed towards another house.

8 Likes