Improve your writing skills here!

That One Night: One Last Time

“This is it.”
They glance up, their eyes watering. Their body shook as I wrapped my arms around them. Their gentle sobs evaporated into my shirt as they hold on for dear life.

Everything we were during those summer days would be over by sunrise. Every swollen kisses, secret notes, and nightly voyages in the summer haze would come to an end.

I never wanted it to end. I didn’t want to admit ir.

“Please…just listen to me.”

I gulp, anticipating those final words from them. I knew I was a liar by giving into the fire. I failed them. I failed what we were. All because of what? They weren’t what my parents thought should be the person I would get married to in the future?

Why am I so stupid? Why would I give up holding onto them on those sleepless nights watching some vintage films? Why would I give up being able to see them transition into the beautiful person they are?

I was supposed to be the one that helped them feel more comfortable in their own skin. I was supposed to be the one that silence the vitriol sent their way.

Instead, I was the person who fed into it.

“No. I need to say something,” my voice trembled as I clutched onto them.

One last time…

They grit their teeth before mumbling. Their hand travels up to my own, pulling it down as they take it into theirs.

“Go on.”

I open my mouth, sighing as my throat felt more and more like sandpaper.

One last time, I need to be the one who takes you home.

After that, there’s only silence as we stand on the train pad, waiting for the next train to come.

You made me start thinking of that one Ariana Grande song.

4 Likes