In The Works: A Shelf For Arab American History Month

Another thing I spotted too tbh… I just… don’t want this to be another shelf they fall flat with but, uh, here’s hoping they get some legitimate suggestions to fill the shelf with

4 Likes

I would guess the ones in the Arab League, but Egypt and Somalia aren’t considered Arabian.

I guess its countries from the Arabian Peninsula and/or both.

Yeah, that I also wonder. It defeats the purpose.

3 Likes

Yep, was thinking of these two countries as well. Although some consider Egyptians to be Arab since they speak Arabic. It’s complicated.

3 Likes

Well, Egypt is located in North Africa, so some people consider them to be African while others don’t. It seems to a personal identity choice that varies from people to people

5 Likes

It’s a shame it’s specifically Arab AMERICANS. I know nothing about that :joy:

3 Likes

Yeah that and their ancestors came from the Arab world more than Africa :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I’m going to be honest here, some Arabs in this community don’t even represent themselves or their culture. Not all but some. It’s upsetting.

on the ig post someone recommended loving latino. does that… ?

on the other hand someone said this:

1 Like

I agree. Not all Arabs are Muslims. And recommending Loving Latino? Just because the author is Arab, doesn’t mean her story is a voice for them. :roll_eyes: Idiots.

3 Likes

Well, I read a story with a Muslim character - “Arabic Love” (I am not really sure if the MC is considered as an Arab, because she is from Morocco, so I said “Muslim”, and not “Arab”).
I wish authors would have added Arab characters (whether if the Arab characters are Muslims or not), especially those who are Arabs themselves. You know, to show their own culture.

Not all Morrocans are Muslims. Someone being Morrocan does not make them Muslim.

1 Like

I know this. I just said “Muslim” becuase the story “Arabic Love”'s MC is Muslim.
I did not say that all the Morrocans are Muslims.

1 Like

Oh ^^

No offense to the author but it seems to me she is more sexualizing their cultural beliefs. Especially with the description–

1 Like

I would prefer if people do not reccomend that story. Another note, Muslims don’t always date Muslims all the time. Theres no need for the “opposite beliefs” emphasized and seen as romantic.

1 Like

Well, I agree with this point. I would not write the description this way…

1 Like

Including in the story, she made it seem Arab = Muslim which is not true. She said she won’t let us change the hair to keep “Arab characteristics.” Not all Arabs are Muslims so I feel she has not done this properly or demonstrated this accurately.

3 Likes

Have you already read the story (until the end)?

May I ask you: Have you written a story yourself?

1 Like

No, I read the beginning and will not continue to read. Even if I read further on, my friend has and she agreed with my points made.

1 Like

Exactly. Not all Europeans are Christian. Not all Arabs are Muslim. Not all Asians are Buddhist or Hindu. Like, yes, these religions are connected to certain regions, but not everyone from that region follow that religion.

5 Likes