In The Works: A Shelf For Arab American History Month

Episode is making a shelf in honour of Arab American history month. So what would you suggest? They’re looking for stories written by community Arab authors.

Since I don’t work for Episode, I can’t make any promises that the stories you suggest here will get featured, but maybe there’s someone from the team lurking on the forums who sees this… It’s possible.

25 Likes

I don’t know much about the history or culture of Arab’s, so I hope that the stories on the shelf will really represent culture and/or history and I get to learn some things and have a good time reading the stories too.

5 Likes

I really honestly wish I could comment on this with authors to help support those in the community. :frowning: This is amazing that Episode is doing this and I really hope that they all get their time to shine.

The ONLY one I know for sure is Paper Hearts by Zetti

Hopefully we’ll get some great suggestions, however, and those authors will get a chance to be recognized! :heart:

5 Likes

I hope so too, I’m a little iffy about the wording Episode chose though, because it only mentioned it being Arab authors, and not about setting or characters, but I’m sure we can find some that include culture in the story line to have in the mix

7 Likes

I feel like the only reason they left it open is because they didn’t know how many suggestions they would get and it might not be enough to fill a shelf? I could just be reaching though and they’re just looking for more cliche romance and drama to fill the shelf with. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

I thought that too. In the past they’ve asked for stories about ____ by ____ authors. So they might have already searched a bit and seen there wasn’t enough?

1 Like

I honestly don’t know if there are 24 stories featuring Arab main characters/culture? (Or at least 24 stories that would score well enough on the rubric to be on a shelf)

I’ve never read it, but I know there’s a story called Arab Love. I have no idea what it’s about though or if it’s appropriate for the shelf.

4 Likes

I would like it of people would recommend stories that actually feature Mcs with Arab or Arabian culture or descent. It wouldn’t make since to feature an author with it and them not having a story with the Mc being so. It looses the purpose of “Arab American voices.” Just because an author is one and made a story, doesn’t mean the story is automatically voicing their culture. The author shouldn’t matter, it’s the story that should.

18 Likes

Agreed.

2 Likes

I just hope that the actual stories featured have Arab characters . :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Yep. But it being episode, I don’t have much high hopes.

2 Likes

@episode.anon @anon54207210 @EpisodeShadow

I agree with you guys. Do you happen to know any yourselves to suggest? I personally have only heard of the one Elise C suggested but I agree with Shadow’s deleted comment lol

1 Like

I haven’t really read much stories like that, I’d love to read some though!

1 Like

In my opinion, It should feature stories that have this :heart: If just the author qualifies and their story doesn’t, it wouldn’t be fair because people are looking forward to the story line, seeing if it fits the shelf, and you don’t always know if people met a certain criteria in their real life. Hopefully Episode makes their decision based on the stories. Sometimes, authors spend countless hours doing research into this. I’d rather read a story written by someone who did research on this, getting experiences from people rather than someone who falls under this criteria but their story doesn’t…cause you know, Episode is a story telling platform :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

I’m Arabic so I’m excited for this shelf but idk if there’s gonna be enough stories that will qualify for the shelf coz I haven’t seen any arab stories except Arab Love and I never read it tho🌚

4 Likes

If Egypt counts as an Arab country the story Isis takes place in ancient Egypt and is about the goddess “Isis” but idk if the author is Arab himself. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Wow… There isn’t 24 stories with Arabian MCs, actually, I doubt we have 24 Arabian authors to feature. We are probably going to have 6 stories, by Arabian authors. Well, they need to pick 4 by themselves, since Arab Love and The Dream and The Dreamer fits this shelf.

Couldn’t they merge this with May’s Asian Heritage month or they aren’t Asian enough?

6 Likes

I agree…it would’ve been much easier honestly? :flushed:

4 Likes

Kiss List by Mariam

2 Likes

The wording is a bit off to me as well. Especially because different people have different beliefs on what constitutes as ‘Arab’. Technically anyone who is from the states within the Arab League is considered an Arab - but not a lot people see it that way. Also are the stories only restricted to being by/with American Arab authors/characters? I thought the whole purpose of these heritage specific shelves was to deviate from our overconsumption of American based stories on the app?

Regardless I still think this is a wonderful shelf. I’m looking forward to see what’s chosen.

7 Likes