INFO for writing about Russian characters!šŸ‡·šŸ‡ŗ

Im not trying to be aggressive or offend someone! I know itā€™s hard to write about other cultures and many people donā€™t do it on purpose

I will add more stuff to the list as well!

Hello, Iā€™m a native Russian speaker with a whole Russian family. I saw so many Russian characters in episode stories andā€¦ every time i read I cringe so hard. Many stories make us look (I know itā€™s not intentional) like we are from 90ā€˜s or are mafias. U can always hear Russian accent, or say Russian words in English for example Babushka and so on. And we ainā€™t doing that when we talk on another language.

Im not saying itā€™s bad, but it is a bit weird to see ā€žtypical stereo typeā€œ Russian.
Soooo what should u know about us Russians?

1. Not every Russian is a vodka and high alcohol lover. If u are Russian it doesnā€™t mean u can non stop drink alcohol

2. Some have a nice fluent English accent. It doesnā€™t always have to be a strong R when we speak English

3. Not everyone curses (Blat, cka) in every sentence or for fun. U can for sure add it! 100% in situations where Russian character is in shock and I mean real shock cause most of us Russians are saying it when we are shocked or something unexpected fast happens

4. If you write about Russian character DONT forget to add Russian food! And NO I donā€™t mean Borsh or Pelmeni! Im talking about what every Russian loves! For example: Sweet corn puffs (ŠŗуŠŗуруŠ·Š½Ń‹Šµ ŠæŠ°Š»Š¾Ń‡ŠŗŠø), ice cream which is called Plombir (ŠŸŠ»Š¾Š¼Š±Šøр) or Eskimo on a stick (ŠµŃŠŗŠøŠ¼Š¾ Š½Š° ŠæŠ°Š»Š¾Ń‡ŠŗŠµ), one of the best salads-> Olivie (ŠžŠ»ŠøŠ²ŃŒŠµ)

5. Stop using typical Russian names, like: Tatyana, Irina, Ana, Olga, Katya, Sveta, Vladimir, Nikita, Dima. Try using something what is Russian but not a common name ā†’
    Females: Vera, Nastya, Valeriya, Emma, Vasilisa
    Males: Pasha, Lesha, Gleb, Yarik, Kolya
    U can always google!

5.1 Besides a name and surname we have so called patronymic. Like: Valeriya Belokon (name and surname) but also Valerievna. And BOY u will be on point if u add patronymic to ur character introduction!
Whatā€™s patronymic? Itā€™s a surname that comes from the father to the child. U can look for more examples on the Internet!

1. Stop coloring us in blonde colors! We ainā€™t blond! Fun FACT most Russians have fair color or dark one. Same goes with eyes! Green/grey/brown/dark brown is standard!
    :interrobang:Blonde and blue eyes is representation of ā€œperfect Germansā€ during world war 2 so itā€™s a common mistake to portrait us like this :interrobang:

2. Outfits: u for sure can add jogger stripped pants to :ru: But not as a default look pls. We wear it soooo rarely and mostly not striped. Russian males and females are over this trend but we still like to wear it sometimes cause itā€™s comfy.
    :eight_spoked_asterisk:If you want to make a funny Russian outfit, try adding some socks to the slippers, we like to wear it outside the city working on the backyard :eight_spoked_asterisk:

3. Cities: Not everyone is from Moskau or St. Petersburg. Try using other cities as well! Just Google for big cities in Russia if needed

I hope it helps someone! Again, donā€™t mean it to be aggressive. And if someone has questions how to make a Russian character better, always feel free to ask!

18 Likes

Amen to that! Itā€™s annoying to see Russians portrayed as bad guys with the same stereotypical names [cough] Vlad.

Alsoā€” the misconception that Russia doesnā€™t have rights and that theyā€™re all blondes with blue eyes. :skull:

6 Likes

OMG so true! And yeah we are always portrayed either bad guys or a rich bimbo whoā€™s dad stole tons of money xd called Irina

4 Likes

Also, thereā€™s cities other than Moscow and St. Petersburg. :skull: Not everyone is from there.

2 Likes

My Main Character is Russian. I would love to learn and have more advice about writing her!! I`m thinking of ginger hair with green eyes??

1 Like

I 100% agree with you. As a German with Russian roots, I hate how Russians or Slavic people in general are potrayed in the media. They are always shown as the bad guys, gold diggers, misogynistic, dumb and alcoholic.
Itā€™s ridiculous that people assume that everyone whoā€™s from East Europe is Polish or Russian. It seems like that other ethnicities, such as Ukrainian, Belarusian, Moldavian, Georgian etc., doesnā€™t exist.

4 Likes

Can be a russian as well! Just needs a Russian name and Surname. We russians do like our nationality and show it. Not in a dumb way or having an accent

2 Likes

Honestly, you can pretty much give her whatever appearance you want to and still be able to class her as Russian. There is no set appearance of what a Russian person looks like, some have blue eyes, some have dark eyes, some have brown hair, some have black hair etc etc, but if you wanted to delve deeply into ethnics, there are regions which have a general genetic look.
I also have a lead with red hair + green eyes and heā€™s a Russian boy through and through. You donā€™t have to worry about the red hair and green eyes at all. (:

Whatā€™s more important is how you want her to be portrayed ā€“ has she lived in another country for many years? Are her family members ethnic Russians? Does she have a strong accent or not? Does she possess Russian values and culture? Was she born in Russia? Was she raised in Russia? Which part of Russia is she from? Is she religious? Is she an Orthodox Christian? There are many things you need to pick and choose for your character in order to be able to write her well and accurately.

2 Likes

Hi, I plan to write a story based in the 90ā€™s of Russia, just following the fall of the URSS, do you happen to know any good history book about this time period? Thanks you so much anyway :heart:

1 Like

Donā€™t know any books.
BUT
In Russia that time people started building ā€ždormsā€œ where each family had to share one flat with others and 1 shower and toilet for the whole house.
Also, back then older people didnā€™t buy many things for their children, not cause of the money difficulties but it was somehow a ā€žruleā€œ. Older generation never bought their kids everything saying ā€œwe as kids didnā€™t had this, so you donā€™t need thisā€
People started moving from towns in big towns like Moskau. Cause every where were villages or super small cities with about 1- 20k population. Moskau was very crowded and Hard to get a job there.
How sadly it sounds itā€™s also a time where MANY serial killers started to appear in Russia. U can take (if needed of course) as an example famous and last one who was sentenced to death in Russia was ā€œChikatiloā€œ.
And sadly itā€™s the time where Russia firstly started getting drugs from other countries. The drug is called ā€žwhite Chineseā€œ
It was an ā€žeraā€œ where in Russia people first started trusting drivers, basically started going in cars with strangers for a super cheap price or even free. Most times it was safe but since it were strangers seeking for ā€žclientsā€œ on the roads, that also led to many horrible killers.

Hope it helps a bit :sweat_smile: overall times back then werenā€™t nice and scary+rough

1 Like

No comment why and how the f I know this xdxd

hi thank you for this thread!

1 Like

Always welcome!

1 Like

Sorry, Iā€™m dumb :sweat_smile:
Can explain this a little more? I donā€™t really get what you mean, and I couldnā€™t find anything on google.

1 Like

Patronymic is the middle name that is based on their fatherā€™s first name.

According to Merriam Webster:
A patronymic, is generally formed by adding a prefix or suffix to a name. [ā€¦] In Russia, both a patronymic and a surname are still used; in the name Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky, for example, Ilyich is a patronymic meaning ā€œson of Ilyaā€.

2 Likes

In Russia we have a ā€žsecond nameā€œ that stays behind the surname. This second name always comes from father side, how the father is called.
For example me:
Valeriya Belokon Valeirvna. My fathers name is Valeriy thatā€™s why I get Valeirvna.
Another example:
Sascha Berezin Petrovich. His fathers name is Petrov.
Hope now it makes more sense. This second name is really complicated for foreign people :sweat_smile:

1 Like

If u will need this second name for a character you can always text me to get it right if needed!:heart:

1 Like

Ok, last question

Why would they add the ā€˜ichā€™ to the end of their fatherā€™s name? Or the ā€˜rvnaā€™?

Sorry, I know Iā€™m being annoying, I just want to make sure my russian character isnā€™t offensive and that theyā€™re written properly :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Itā€™s super hard with endings tbh. I donā€™t know the rule I just know it cause Iā€™m Russian :sweat_smile: itā€™s always different for the girl and boy. Mostly boys get ich at the end and girls a or like in my case na.

2 Likes

Oh ok, tysm :blush:

1 Like