Information about Arab culture! Feel free to ask questions!

Hey everyone!

I have decided to write this thread for people to learn about Arab countries and their cultures. There isn’t much Arab representation in the Episode community, and I feel getting people to recognize these countries might encourage others to write about them!

If you are educated or feel like I missed anything important, please feel free to share information and I will add them to the thread. Also, feel free to ask whatever you want, and I will try to answer your questions.

The first thing I want to note the Arab world consists of 22 Arab countries. Those countries are Jordan, Palestine, Syria, Lebanon, Morocco, Mauritania, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Sudan, Somalia, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Oman, Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait, the Comoros Islands, Iraq, Djibouti, and the United Arab Emirates.

I will only give information about the countries I know, which include: Jordan, Palestine, Syria, Lebanon, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates. If anyone from the other countries wants to put their POV, please tell me.

About Us
  • Not all Arabs are Muslim. Though Arab countries are predominantly Muslim, we do have people who practice other religions, including Christianity. As a girl living in Saudi Arabia, people who do not practice Islam are exempt from the subject and it is written on their record. They are not forced to take the subject!

• We range in color, I have seen very dark Arabs, I have seen Arabs with blonde hair and blue eyes, and I have seen pale Arabs with very dark hair and eyes, like myself. Our hair also ranges, some have very straight hair, others have super curly, and others have something in between. The looks of the person usually are because of the family’s origins, there isn’t one certain “look”.

• Arabic is a native language, but not everyone speaks it, we do also speak and learn English. The type of school determines the level of English you take. Public schools are more Arabic based, where all the subjects are taken in Arabic; however, private and international schools are taught in English.
    Some schools also provide French as a mandatory subject.

• Family gatherings are a thing, but not every family does them. Families usually gather for Eid a Muslim hoilday, for big events, or just to catch up every once in a while.

• All Arab countries have different dialects and accents for Arabic. We can all understand each other because of the similarities, but we have different words depending on where you are from.

Stereotypes and things to avoid
  • We are not terrorists, doesn’t need an explanation.

• The stereotype of us all being rich, though nice, is definitely not true.

Lmao I have nothing else here if anyone has anything to add feel free to tell me

Similar threads that might interest you:

13 Likes

For the story I’m writing I want one of the love interests is Arabic, since its set in a made up place, different to the real world, Arab countries technically don’t exist, but I’m basing her and her area around Saudi Arabia mostly, so I have a few questions.

1. This love interest is a princess, would there be a different name for Princess or the royalty in general?
  2. What would the area look like, mostly if there is a more upper class sort of area, what would it look like?
  3. Is there any traditional clothing? I know a lot of places would wear regular clothes for the most part, but are there any clothes that would be traditionally worn, especially since they are royalty.

I might think of more questions as I write the character and her family, but that’s all I have for now.

1- The Saudi royal family is very private, so I don’t know any of the girls’ names, however from all the kings and princes they seem to have normal Arabic names.

2- From what I know, the royal family lives in Riyadh, which is a regular city with skyscrapers. Have your royal family live in a villa, in a gated community because we have a lot of those here.

3- Royal men do wear traditional clothes, they wear the thawb with the red checkered scarf. As for the women I have no clue since they are very private. But, if I could guess what they would wear, I would say modest clothing, something resembling the abaya.

If you need more clarification or any more questions, feel free to ask.

I feel like I did no justice to you :upside_down_face:, I am very sorry lmao

When I say their names I mean like the titles, is there like an Arabic version of princess and king and queen, I know it’s unlikely they use those terms since they are in English, but is there something else they get called? Preferably something I can change into English letters instead of Arabic so I can type it into the story ahaha.

We do call them the direct translation to King, Prince, etc.

King: Malik
Queen: Malika
Prince: Ameer, or Amir
Princess: Ameera, or Amira

Sorry for the confusion, if you need anything else I would be happy to help

2 Likes

Hey, I do have some questions about the Arab culture : )

-is there any “offensive clothing” that we should avoid putting on Arab Characters? (I know that Muslim Women aren’t allowed to show much skin, but as not every Arab is a Muslim I’m not sure about the clothing)
-are there any arabic words that we shouldn’t misuse?
-how “strong” is the passport in Arab countries? (I’m thinking of including a women or man from Egypt or Saudi Arabia as one of the MC, and the story is mostly about travelling.)
-what are typical Arab Names for Women and Men? Or aren’t there any typical

That’s everything (for now)

I’m sorry if any of the questions are offensive : ( Or if I sound plain rude, oops

1 Like

If you’re MC are gonna be from Egypt as you said I can reccomend you some.

Male :

• Ahmed
  • Mohammed
  • Amr
  • Amir
  • Seif
  • Hany
  • Yahya
  • Yassin
  • Mustafa
  • Khaled
  • Youssef
  • Omar

Female :

• Farah
  • Sarah
  • khadijah
  • Salma
  • Hana
  • Jana
  • Daliah
  • Nour
  • Maya
  • Layla
  • Shahd
1 Like

None of your questions were offensive, don’t worry :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

• As I said in the main thread, every person has a different perspective on what’s offensive or not. I feel like showing too much cleavage and wearing booty shorts is something I wouldn’t see in a country like Saudi Arabia especially out in public or in family gatherings.

• Arabic is a pretty neutral language, there aren’t any words I can think of that can be misused. But, do not use any Muslim phrases, unless your character is Muslim.

• The Egyptian passport is not as strong as the Saudi Passport, though not strong enough to have your character freely travel. I would recommend having the traveler either have a dual passport or always gets visas to the places they want to go to.

• I’ll give you the most common names I have in my school:

Female:
Tasnim
Sara
Layan
Leen
Tala
Lina
Yara
Yasmeen
Noor
Joud

Male:
Ahmad
Omar
Ryan
Abdullah (Muslim name)
Yousef
Ali
Malik

If you want uncommon names I’ll gladly list some.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Okay, thank you for this, it’s very helpful.
And if you could list some uncommon names, that’d be great :woozy_face:

Uncommon names:

Females:
Daleen
Sadeel
Sadeen
Rowaina
Haifa
Fairouz
Nada
Layal
Anoud
Razan

Male:
Younes
Bilal
Ghazi
Elias
Michal (Mish-al, hard to pronounce if not Arab)
Bader
Alaa (hard to pronounce if not Arab)
Samer

1 Like

Thank you so much again! This thread is very helpful :smile:

It is no problem, glad this thread is helpful :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :pleading_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.