Is adding a scene before CC a good idea?

Yeah, I’m a shameless self-insert loser who likes CC too much, so I don’t feel that, but like I kinda want it to be like when you’re watching a tv show and it’s got a lil intro BEFORE the beginning credits/opening scene, ya know?

2 Likes

Hmm depending on the scene I guess. I think it’s good for helping someone decide whether they want to customize or not, also helps someone decide whether they want to continue reading it. :woman_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

Hmm, so you prefer when the MC’s in it?

1 Like

Yeah, it’s not that much of a big deal to me though. If you think its best to have CC before then that’s fine

1 Like

Well, I wasn’t sure, hence the poll

1 Like

I don’t particularly like having a scene before cc if the main character is in it because it disconnects me from the story… I think you should do whatever fits you and your story best though.

1 Like

Yeah if the main characters in it before CC time, it feels all weird

1 Like

tbh I really don’t care… they all work fine for me

1 Like

In the first attempt I made of my story, The Queen of Freaks, I had the MC on a black background and you had to customise her straight away. But it’s really difficult to hook people like that since they know nothing about the story! Plus, they don’t know enough about her personality, so this might change the way they want to customise her.

In the second version, there’s a scene with her and then she goes to change/get ready for a ball. I have the CC there. It makes the whole thing integrated in the story and gives you a chance to figure out who she is as a person before you customise her. It works much better!

4 Likes

that’s a great idea! I have a CC scene as well but my MC goes to a beauty salon first. It makes it seem like it’s a bit more realistic to add a little scene to it. of course it’s still you’re own choice @Kittimu

3 Likes

Well, none of those ^^

I think it is dependent on the author, the story, the writing style, etc. Because if you are in like…a fantasy world for example, how do you customize your character so they fit into the world? So it just depends. I like good stories ^^ das it

1 Like

A scene before CC is like a gateway to the story. I like it.

1 Like

Hmm, well, I might be biased because I added a scene before CC in 3 of my stories, I personally think it hooks the reader before they read and builds tension.

1 Like

In one of my stories, the first scene shows the MC reading something on a computer but you can’t see her face. Then it zooms up until we see her face and that’s when I ask the reader if they would like to customize the MC. There is also the option to play as a default character.

1 Like

That’s cool!

1 Like

Customization coming first makes more sense to me.

That being said, if you implement CC while the customizable character’s first scene is happening (for example: having the mc looking in the mirror and doing CC right then; might be a bit basic, but it works), that’s the best solution in my eyes.

1 Like

Just like @ShanniiWrites, I also prefer to know something about the plot and the MC’s personality before I get to customize her/him, so in my stories I always start with a scene in which the MC is in. I also agree with @Scarlet_Sapphire: the other reason why I don’t like customizing at the very beginning is that I don’t even know if I’m going to like the story or not, so I don’t want to waste my time with this. So in these cases I always skip the CC, but if I have to customize a bunch of people and give them names before the story even started, I get so bored that I often just click out of the story.

3 Likes