1 Like

Mmhmm. If you need any more help, I’d be more than happy

1 Like

I think I’ll go with the group discussion

Thank you sooooo much. And I might need more sometime

1 Like

Awesome! Glad I could help

1 Like

I can’t say I’m exactly smart, but if you need someone to go into the social aspects of being a nerd, or just like. Sick references to drop, I’m your gal.

2 Likes

Thank you for the message! What do you mean by sick refrences

Well, okay, let me try to explain this to you.

Geeks don’t exactly hang out with the popular kids, but we still do stuff. We watch TV, we see movies, we play games, we read comics, we just do stuff. But we don’t want to do things alone - even the shyest, most introverted geek still wants to have friends.

So that’s why we gravitate towards things that other geeks like. I mean, being into superheroes is pretty mainstream now, but there’s stuff like sci-fi or like… indie games or things like that that we get loren into. And if you can connect to people through those interests, rather than through personalities, then it’s an easier, safer way to make friends. Nobody will judge you for who you are if they judge you for what you like instead.

So by dropping references in your story, it makes your nerd character more relatable to the (presumably also a nerd) reader, as well as just making them seem like an actual person instead of just “lol omg i’m so smart”.

3 Likes

I’m a nerd!

1 Like

Hey, I guess Im a nerd. I wouldnt really consider myself a nerd, but Ive been told Im really smart and had the highest grade in my class.

1 Like

Wow that’s great! So Graydon (the nerd) can be geeky and into comics maybe?

I am so happy you guys replied. Because I can use all the knowledge I can get. When I come across some thing I want to add I will come to you!!! I am stuck on a writers block and I am trying to escape

I wouldn’t call myself a Spencer Reid, but I was top of my class and I had a lot of trouble fitting in initially because of that. Now I’m studying for a Masters, have a Bachelors, am a fully-qualified English as a Foreign Language teacher and have completed multiple qualifications in proof-reading, English Language and Literature, Maths, Physics etc. I also speak quite a few languages… I’m 21. So I guess you could say I’m quite gifted. Maybe not genius level, but I’m sure I can help. What do you need?

1 Like

Yay! so many replies!!! If it’s alright I will still be in touch

Just be careful of the Dunning-Krueger effect: it’s a psychological phenomenon whereby people of lower intelligence perceive themselves to be smarter than those with higher intelligence!

Basically, smart people tend to doubt their intelligence more than stupid people :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I could not say what I need yet. Everything you can help me with is great. I am just trying to figure out with more of my chapter one, but I can’t get past my library scene

1 Like

Thank you! I had no idea that was a thing

1 Like

Hmm… Interestingly, at my final school (an English grammar school), being intelligent made you super popular… if you weren’t really Sheldon Cooper about it.

It was cool to speak Klingon, Quenya, Sindarin and High Valyrian and people loved speaking to me because it would help them with their exams xD

The good thing about living in this day and age is the rise of Nerd Culture: thanks to the popularisation of comic book-based films, the success of The Big Bang Theory and the normalisation of gaming, anime and comic book conventions like Comic-Con, it’s not seen as weird anymore. It doesn’t make you an outcast like it would have, say, 20 years ago. Things that used to have a cult following among nerds have been popularised and it’s no longer seen as a derogatory or bad term.

HOWEVER, the downside to that is a phenomenon I like to call the “pseudo-Geek culture”: people who jump on the bandwagon of nerd culture just to abandon it later when it stops being new and cool and starts being simply normal. They do exist out there, and they’re quite easy for a trained eye to spot. Lots of people accidentally fall into that trap with their nerd-based characters in stories.

I can assure you that we’re not all ugly (if I may say so myself, I think I’m an okay-looking girl) and not all of us have trouble talking to the opposite sex. Although, I can tell you some horror stories from the more stereotypical nerds, if you’d like!

For a lot of us, school comes easy, so we don’t actually spend as much time studying as you’d think. That’s why we end up spending so much time with different hobbies, I suppose: I’ve watched 45 days worth of anime in my life, read thousands of books and speak 10 languages to at least intermediate level. My hobbies involve talking to people in different languages, criticism of the arts and reading a good book.

One problem is that a lot of nerds can become one-track-minded. Some of my friends forget about the importance of physical prowess or end up underestimating people they see as “stupid” - that’s one of their fatal flaws, I guess! It lands a lot of people, especially the more misogynistic guys, into a lot of trouble. I think that’s the problem with being told you’re brilliant all the time. It can make you rather big-headed and you can end up thinking you’re better than everyone else.

Although we come in many different shapes and sizes: I was a child actor and semi-professional dancer. Many of my friends are buff as hell!

4 Likes

Yes! I’m a complete bookworm, and just laze around writing my episode stories

2 Likes

Heres the thing, my nerd is not shy about being intelligent and this is why no one likes him (including me) I do want to use another language for some things I just have to figure out what for. Because It would be the nerd using different languages. And I see what you’re saying and I like the positives but they only friend Graydon has is Jack and they’re not in a group. I will not abandon my nerd culture for Graydon because they whole story is based on a hated nerd that gets murdered. So he will not become cool or popular at any point.

I would say Graydon is not bad looking, and I did not make him look ugly. Actually, that’s him in my profile picture. And sure I would love to hear what you’ve got!

That is what I am going for I want Graydon to be big headed this is the whole point of the story. And is also the cause of his downfall.