Is Chain Reaction actually good?

Chain Reaction was the first mafia story I think I ever read on Episode.
I actually didn’t read it until the second one (King Theo) was featured and then I figured I should read the first one to see what the big deal was lol. Before that, I’d seen it on the trending but it hadn’t appealed to me.

It was okay. I finished it. Like I said, it was the first mafia story I’d read so it was “different” at the time. I don’t think it could read it again, though.
I read the two featured ones too. I thought the second one dragged a bit too much. I liked the third one the best (Lost) because Alex the female MC is the only female MC I actually liked in the series.

4 Likes

I’d agree with others that it’s problematic and romanticizes troublesome themes. It had a pretty sharp impact on the app and not a positive one.

17 Likes

I read it a few years ago and ugh idk because I liked it at first but it has way too much toxic behaviour and it was really upsetting me so I decided it’s stop reading :woman_shrugging:t4:

5 Likes

Thanks for all your opinions! I’m kind of getting a vibe that maybe I shouldn’t read it.

5 Likes

Tbh it’s upto you lol. But like I said all of them are the same so if you’re gonna read I’d say just stick to one of them :joy:

3 Likes

If you like gangs, flirty and sexual rendition (which you might not) with toxic influence, then that’s the story for it. But in my honesty, when I was younger and I read it, I thought it was so good. Now after a few years and I‘be grown a bit, it’s not a good story. It was the OG mafia story so it did get a lot of hype back then. Buttt you can give it a try yourself and see if you like it. Don’t just let others opinions decide for you

5 Likes

no shade but all the chain reaction and its just an illusion story are the same plot - bad boy mafia leader falls in love with the weak girl

6 Likes

I was curious whether or not it’s good so I decided to read it. It’s not, it’s cliche

I stopped 1 minute in. It starts with an author note and the scenes are narrated. Show me, don’t tell me she’s homeless and had an abusive boyfriend or something. I don’t care.

Then she witnesses a murder a gets kidnapped. I can already tell what happens in the rest of the story lmao

6 Likes

One of the many reasons I don’t like Chain Reaction but you have to admit it’s realistic. You can’t expect a mobster/gangster to act ruthlessly around his people then turn around and act cutesy and imagine his future with her while eating cupcakes, can you?

1 Like

Nothing about chain reaction is realistic it’s romanticised gangs like every gang stories. If realistic the story would of ended with in the first two chapters. She would of been threatened or she would of been killed no way would of met the gang leader.

11 Likes

I’m not saying it was I’m just saying you can’t expect a mobster/gangster to act ruthlessly around his people then turn around and act cutesy and imagine his future with her while eating cupcakes. Because they said

“literally re-uses the same characteristics for a mafia gang leader: black leather jacket, cold towards girls but likes screwing girls, smokes a lot, tattoo, sarcasm, ruthlessness, often jealous when the MC interacts with other guys”

Never once did I say the story was realistic just that they thought a gangster would act all cutesy wasn’t. :rofl:

Please just let My opinion be Mine :wink:

1 Like

Similar case here. I read the original - the whole thing because I was always waiting for it to get better. At that time there weren’t many choices and I thought many reads = good story, but that’s not necessarily the case. Is it a story I’d recommend? No. Is it terrible? No.

4 Likes

lmao… no.

as a person who’s (sadly) read all chain reaction and it’s just an illusion series, it’s a waste of time and passes. before you ask why: i was new to episode and chain reaction was logically one of the first stories i’d read, so it was decent back then.

but crap like this doesn’t deserve to trend at all. it’s boring, predictable and problematic.

11 Likes

Omddd hi @IsabellaMason !!! Its mee! Lol, ill shush noww
I actually love Chain Reaction, i read it a while ago and I’m into mafia and gang storys so thats probably why :smirk::yum::yum::yum:
Yeah i realise its sorta predictable and not realistic but since when are any mafia stories realistic, we all know theyr nothing like that
Obv storys are for entertainment
And yeah, obv if u dont like that kinda thing then it isnt ur cup of tea :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

It’s a great series to read. One of the best I’ve read. It’s so good no wonder it’s got 80+ million reads… you’ve got to try it out. I also think hunting bad is good it might be better than chain reaction but try them out for sure. Chain reaction is followed by its just an illusion series which is better than chain reaction in my personal opinion . If it into romance and bad boys this is totally for you :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Hey Melissa this is Anna. Be sure to try out hunting bad by hope moon too. If u hv that’s okay. If not try it out. Personally I feel it’s even better than chain reaction…:heart:

2 Likes

I read it when I first downloaded Episode and it was on like 8 million reads (or even less maybe idrk), so she was still publishing it as I was reading. Even though it’s a cliche story, Miss MJ was one of the first authors to gain traction for mafia books and then the trend followed. I think it’s worth the read, I liked it :blush:

2 Likes

Hi Anna! Melissa has actually told me about Hunting Bad. She’s read it.

2 Likes

Oh hey Issabella! It’s amazing to hear that she’s read it. Tks for notifying me…:heart:

2 Likes

You’re welcome :blush:

1 Like