Is Cheerleading actually a big thing in American High Schools?

Hi how are you! I’m from US and can say that cheerleading is a big part of
High school! We do have bleachers where parents, students, teachers, and friends come watch games! In my high school we had cheerleaders for a couple of the sports just not all of them! But definitely not only in movie we do have the bleachers and the fans and all!

1 Like

Yup! At least at mine.
Some schools don’t have funding or people that actually want to do cheer

1 Like

i was one of the people in the school’s pep band (the band that plays music with their instruments on the bleachers) so i can confirm that people do come to football games to watch them and cheer on for the their teams. For my high school, people who attend football games tend to be people who have school spirit. That mainly includes family, friends, other athletes, and school staff. My school in general had, I think, lower school spirit than the typical high school and that might have to do with the fact that our football team is infamous for not being good. The rest of the school that doesn’t care about sports or school spirit or doesn’t have friends that play football wouldn’t go to football games.

we do have cheer teams for football teams and they also cheer for other sports like basketball. as for competitive cheer, our school also competed in competitive cheer and they had cheer meets and competed against other high school cheer teams.

In my high school, the popular people tended to be the smart, well-rounded AP students that were involved in many extracurricular activities. Some of them happened to be athletes but that wasn’t all they were. A lot of the popular people I knew were not only in sports but were also in marching band and other clubs. In my high school, I’d say football jocks and cheerleaders were only popular among the crowd that primarily only played sports. If I knew any of the football jocks or cheerleaders, it was only because they were in my classes.

1 Like

@Jasmine_stories @tiff_episode @baechulgi thank you for replying, I found it very interesting.

2 Likes

Not sure about all but my school does.

Football yeah, and I’m pretty sure in my middle schools we had it for basketball (don’t quote me on it)

Cheerleading:
I’m not sure about all them cause I personally only know like one person name, but for her, yeah.

Football:
I didn’t know I had a football team into I heard my classmate talking to one of the players and a game was annouced.

But I don’t think they are popular because they play the sports, I’m pretty sure they are popular because they are very social or something big happen to them.

1 Like

Yes, we have outdoor bleachers. They absolutely suck to sit on when the sun is beating down on you. They’re only really used for football matches, though.

My school used to have a cheer team, but it was discontinued due to a drug problem :grimacing:. But to my knowledge, they were used really only for football, and other cheer competitions.

Also, football jocks and cheerleaders are not the most popular in my school. They barely get any mention, actually. Could just be my school, but the most popular group at my school is the pretty, rich, Asian squad and that’s because they’re extremely social.

1 Like

No it’s not, in the area I live it next to the city and our highschools are quite small so we wouldn’t have Fields most of the time for sports

Cheerleading is just one of those things in america along with football, but very little of it is seen in New York

1 Like

Actually… here were I am (new york) It is quite popular and even middle schoolers have it :woman_shrugging:

Yea kinda, it’s not that hyped like they usually make it out to be generally. It’s definitely known, but football along with others seem to be more popular.
The jocks tend to have really good grades along with the popular group. In my school, the people who usually struggle to keep good grades are the least popular or only known for having bad grades.
Popular kids are made up of a bunch of people like somewhat nerds and jocks, but there are more than one popular group in my school.

2 Likes

I’m talking about near the city, you probably live somewhere upstate ?

Yes, and yes.

Yes, at the pep rally cheerleaders will also be there. It’s usually during seasons, for example football season, you’d tend to see more cheerleaders there. People also do cheerleading outside of school, some as a hobby and some do it competitively.

Well, it depends on person to person and school to school. Just saying, you cannot be a “dumb jock”. If you are failing a class, or doing really badly then you aren’t allowed to be on any sport team, not even failing one class. Not everyone cares for sports, so there would be a lot of people who can’t name the “star” of the football team unless they went to football games religiously or something, y’know? Most people don’t really care for that kind of stuff, and usually go just for fun unless they really like sports. There’s popular kids in every group you can name of, so I wouldn’t say they are “the most popular.” Also, beware of movies because the people who make them are probably older people who just want to be nostaglic and over exaggarate literally everything. Unless your story revolves completely around the sport, then yeah. But even then, not every single person in the school would know who your character is just because they’re the “main cheerleader” or “star” of the team. Not everyone cares.

1 Like

I guess it depends on the school. at mine, sideline (football and basketball) cheerleaders werent really popular but competition (gymnastics) were. honestly at my school all you had to do to be popular was play a sport. it might be different now tho

1 Like

I say make it however you want. If you want that to happen in your story, im sure there are some schools that are like that. My school had cheerleaders for basketball but not football, but the cheerleaders were not the “popular” girls.

1 Like

Yes! In my school they are a thing, and yes the popular girls do play that sport in my school. Butttt it’s not as hyped as you’d think. The only time cheerleading and football games are as big as the movies is during homecoming
But anyone can do cheerleading, but mainly the cheerleaders on the team are mean girls some are actually nice (for my school)
But for the football players? Eh, not really. However some players are cocky all cuz they’re on the team. Not all are good, not all are mean, it varies

1 Like

I live in america so u could trust this information :wink:

Yup It’s in literally in every school, actually fun

Yeah we do, It’s very competitive at some schools, but I know a lot of people who are friends with other teams from other schools, so the sport is only competitive, not the people.

Nope. That’s totally wrong, any school you go to, you wont ever see that

1 Like

I’m American And I Must Say, Yeah, All The Schools I Went To Considered it A Big Thing. But There Weren’t Really Like Bullies In All The Sports Teams All The Schools I Went To Everyone Was Just Chill I Guess. And Games Were And Are A Very Big Thing, Buying The Tickets At The Stands, Selling Raffle Tickets Before The Game, Getting A Salty Pretzel At The Concession Stands, Putting On Our Teams Color Face Paint, The Pep Rallies, The Bleachers That Made Your Butt Sore, Taking Your Younger SIblings To The Games, It Is All Very True, At Least With My Experience. I Also Think That ALmost Everyone On Sports Teams From Football To Basketball, To Baseball, To Cheerleading, Etc Were All Very Outgoing And Had A Larger Friend Group Than Most. When I Did Cheer, I Don’t Think There Were Any Cliche Rude Cheerleaders.
So That Is The American Highschool Sport Info You Need In A Nutshell Right?
:ribbon: :revolving_hearts: :cherry_blossom:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.